Private schools

would you put your kids in private school and what is better

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• homeschool...in IL it's considered private school
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I don't think one is neccassrily better than the other. To me, it depends on the area and the other kids that they will be going to school with. I will send my dd to public for elementary and middle, but not high school. Our high school is two town combined, one nice and one not so nice. So I would not want her being influenced by some possibly bad kids. But, in general, I think public and private give just a good a education.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• yes, if I could afford it. Private schools have smaller groups of kids, thus kids get more attention. Also the conditions are better. Kids might come from more educated families, so chances for my kids to get exposed to a negative environment are less.
    Anonymous

• YES, ALL OF MY THREE KIDS WENT TO PRIVATE SCHOOL, AND THAT IS ONE DECISION I WILL NEVER REGRET. UNFORTUNATELY PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM SUCKS BIG TIME, AND AN A GOOD FOUNDATION IS KEY FOR COLLEGE.

Answer by older at 1:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I considered it with my oldest, but she was able to get into a great public school. My younger two have special needs and private schools have no concept of special ed. The reason they seem so much better is that they can pick and choose the kids they take, parents are heavily involved and generally more affluent and educated themselves. Private schools don't have to deal with a lot of issues that public schools do. So I don't see one as better or worse, just geared toward different types of students.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The three of us went as kids, my 3 go now and my youngest 2 will join them in a year or two. I will never regret having gotten that kind of education and I do not regret continuing the tradition for my own children. We all are just trying to do what is best for our kids. I don't think sending my kids to private school makes me better than public school or homeschool parents...it is just the best fit for our family.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2009