Are Flintstone vitamins with Iron enough?

So I just found I'm pregnant again and I'm only 4 or 5 weeks along. I started taking the flintstone vitamins with iron because I always wind up anemic while pregnant so My question is, is 1 vitamin enough or should I take 2 because I read somewhere that I needed 600mcg of folic acid and 30mg of iron and 1 flintstone vitamin contains 300mcg of folic acid and 15mg of iron, So do you think It would be ok to take 2 a day? I can not swallow pills and the chewable prenatals make me sick so I think I just wanna stick with the flintstone vitamins for now and when I see a doctor maybe get a iron supplement to be safe! Thanks!

Mamamegan

Asked by Mamamegan at 12:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My sister took those for three months then they put her on some presc ones.. but i wouldnt say take them the whole time by no means... both my kids take them everyday..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The iron in those is not enough. You have to take a iron and folic acid pill as well as the flinstone vitamin.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You can get prenatal vitamins over the counter at Wal-Mart or a drug store. They will have everything in the proper amounts that the both of you need. But if you really want to take Flintstones I would call your doctor and ask them. My friend got sick on her prenatal vitamins and I think her doctor told her to take 2 Flintstones a day.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 12:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would think it would not be enough iron because they aren't designed for a pregnant woman who needs more than the average daily allowance of iron. There is nothing wrong with taking the Flintstone vitamins your whole pregnancy. My doctor recommends them to me because I have hypernemesis with all my pregnancies. (In case anybody doesn't know what that is, its all vomiting all the time. Around the clock. Nothing helps.) So, I agree with the person above me who said to take 2 a day. This is the first pregnancy (#4) that I have been able to keep down any sort of vitamin supplement at all!!! All my kids are fine.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 12:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If you eat a healthy diet you don't HAVE to take anything. So IMO the flinstone coupled with a healthy diet should be enough (also try to do most of your cooking in a cast iron pan. It really does help and was suggested by my doctor)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I took the flinstones, you just take 2 a day to make sure you are getting enough folic acid. My doctor told me that it is the same as prenatals. So I think your pretty safe doing that! Just take 2 a day. Or you could always just buy prenatals from your local walmart! I take mine at bedtime so I don't get sick from them!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I also had hypernemesis(sp) ..i couldn't keep anythign down..so the doctor told me the flintstones ones would do just fine...but you can always ask your doctor when you go...
    ThinkPink23

Answer by ThinkPink23 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have a horrible time swallowing pills.. so my dr told me i could do the flintstones thing, and they told me if i was going to use it in place of the other meds i needed to make sure to take TWO each day to make sure that i get enough of what i need. I called the pharmacist, because I am just cautious, and he told me that when you take two, it is basically the same as having a prescription for the vitamins, but it is still safe.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i am 11 weeks 5 days preg #2! yeah!!!! i have graves diease so we are xcited that we concived after sooo many upsets. but i have chewable prenatle pills and there like eating battery acid the tast is awful and leaves a matalic taste afterwards so i called my Dr. and the nurse said to take 2 flinstones w Iron, i've been doing it 2 days now and do not feel sick to the point where i do not want to do anything, as soon as my 3 month supple of nasty prenat are up imma ask if there is another type that tast better if not i'm sticking w the flinstones cause the rite-aid said i can not get anyother kind until the 90 days is up n if i wanted to it was like 80.00, so the flinstones are fine
    I'm concerned that the DHA u need is not there to support brain development so i'll have to catch up on all my fresh fruit n veggies{i only like carrots} so mommy better try other veggies
    good luck to you and have a safe and healthy pregnancy
    aliviasmom1170

Answer by aliviasmom1170 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2011