How do I get my 4 year old to stop BFing?

I'm so tired... drained. I've tried everything to get him to take a cup but he doesn't want it. I know I shouldn't give in but... the crying... and he won't drink milk from a cup. Would he become unhealthy if I refuse? I know how gross many will think this is, and I really don't want to have to ask, but I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would talk with your pedi. At 4 he has a whole different set of weaning issues than a one year old. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• just stop...it takes to to bf and if you arent willing anymore then just stop..yeah he will cry, yeah he will be mad, but spend plenty of time with him and keep offering a cup, eventually he will be thirsty enough to take it, he is just being stubborn right now. not like a month old baby that doesnt know how to drink from a cup or bottle and has to be taught,. He will be okay. Just stay consistant. Dont give in.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• What is BFing? Im confused! Oh Breast feeding!!! LOL ..that took me awhile. Just cut him off and cuddle alot. It will be 3 days of hell but do it now cause you have to do it sooner or later. cold turkey get him off the boob. He will be fine ithout milk. Just wean him and worry about milk later. He is way too old and will be healthy without it. He is doing it for comfort. Praise him, call him big, cuddle adn read togeher and give him NO MORE!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• How do I do this without it interrupting out sleep? Like I said before I'm so tired.
    Anonymous

• I have an almost three year old that is also nursing. Yeah to you for making it to four. As far as weaning the easiest thing to do is cut out one regular nursing at a time. Cut one out for a few days and then and another. They will cry and fuss, but since they are nursing other times of the day you know they will not starve. Is there anything that he likes to drink besides milk? My two kids HATE milk, so when weaning my first I had to give her juice instead. When you cut out the feeding and he is fussing, try and do something with him that he really loves to do, but does not get to do all the time. Anything to distract him from not being able to nurse. Try going to the breastfeeding toddlers/preschoolers group--they might have some advice on weaning an older child too. 

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• ewww sorry.... Anyway I agree just stop and tell him its all gone there is no more and he has to drink out of a cup. And it's probably a closness issue for him just cuddle with him while he drinks out of his cup! hope this helps good luck!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Don't stop! Your baby needs your milk. He's going to think you don't love him anymore. *smh*
    Anonymous

• I haven't had to deal with this at that age before but my first thought is to get him involved. Make it fun, kind of like potty training. When I started potty training my oldest we let him pick out his own big boy undies, he got a sticker chart etc. Maybe some of those things applied here would help you out? It's worth a try anyway, let him pick out his own cup with a favorite character, let him pick out his own juice or little carton of milk etc. Anything like that that you can think of and offer tons of praise when he drinks from a cup. HTH!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• hes four. if he gets thirsty enough he will drink from a cup. as long as he has food and drink available, he will eventually give in and take. if you keep giving in its only going to get worse. jmo
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My guess is that he's bf out of habit. Assuming you're not on a ped's script to bf him because of severe medical issues then he's healthy enough physically to stop and retrain. If he's out of diapers then he's a big boy and uses the potty. Does he ride a training wheel bike or a bike with out training wheels? Then he's a big boy because babies can't even ride a bike and keep it steady and straight with out training wheels. Are there tv shows that he watched in his two's that he just loved so much but now likes other shows? then he's a big boy and growing up and his life changes because of growing. Converse with him of his accomplishments of being a big boy from a baby and that it's time to grow again into a big boy with out bf instead of a big boy who bf. I wouldn't call him a baby or tell him only babies bf while you're stopping. Just tell him this growth of no bf is a decision you make because he needs big boy milk.
    Anonymous