• In the Spotlight:

How long should you wait after a misscarriage to try again?

I was roughly 8 weeks along and lost the baby :( the bleeding and cramps have stopped.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• usually the doctors tell you about how long you should wait after a miscarriage. I have heard that the period advised is from 2-6 months, and this depends on the physical condition of the mom and what caused the miscarriage.
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 12:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It depends on your specific situation. Talk to your health care provider about it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My doctor recommended 4 months
    spokenfor2

Answer by spokenfor2 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It depends on your dr and other factors.
    Textbook answer is generally about 3mths. some dr will tell you that there is not reason to wait at all if there were no complications with the miscarriage. If you had a d&c done they scrap your lining pretty thin and allowing a little extra time would be a good idea to help with the chances of implantation. When I had my early m/c my dr told me there was no reason to wait. I got pregnant with my next 2mths after my loss. The last m/c I had happened at 14wks5days and my dr told me to wait at least 2 cycles to try again. (different drs also) Im sorry for your loss and wish you luck on your next go round.
    mommyto3rugrats

Answer by mommyto3rugrats at 5:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have had two miscarriages and the Dr never said anything to me about waiting. As a matter of fact, she encouraged me to try again ASAP. I guess you are more fertile the next few months after a miscarriage.
    But, definitely talk to your Dr. first. You might have a different scenario that requires a wait.
    mama-in-love

Answer by mama-in-love at 9:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i was told 3 months mostly for emotional healing. but i agree that every situation might call for different instructions. if you are like me you wont be happy til you know you are normal and can carry a baby. i lost my first. i waited 2 months, it took me 4 til i conceived..
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2009