My 2 month old fell out of my arms while we were sleeping and now i feel horrible. what should i do?

While my 2 month old was laying on my stomach she fell out of my arms and hit the floor. She has a slight bruise on each sides of her cheeks. Now I feel like a horrible parent, what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh goodness people it's just a small fall. It's not like the baby fell off the roof! It happens. Babies are very durable. Chances are nothing broke and there's no need to go to the doctor. Don't worry. It doesn't make you a bad parent. Things happen! Keep an eye on your child and make sure she isn't crying and is still feeding, acting normal. Again, don't feel bad. This is just the first in a lifetime of a billion + bumps, bruises, bites, and stings. welcome to motherhood :)
    Anonymous

• call her doctor and ask
    Anonymous

• Take your baby to the doctor to make sure she is okay!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    nichvegas-mommy

Answer by nichvegas-mommy at 12:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Call her Dr and if she starts throwing up or being more tired than usual take her to the ER no matter if the Dr says to or not.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Well, a real mom doesn't always rush to the hospital. Babies fall and the Er wont do anything at all.

I suggest not falling asleep like that any more. It's pretty unstable. The baby should be on a bed/crib sturdy surface.

I too have fallen asleep with the baby in my arms and have had the child fall, it was out of exhaustion. I would never purposely fall asleep like that. I would suggest watching her, and calling her pedi. You can tell if there is a concussion, but the chance of a regular fall doing any damage that you don't see is slim. If her eyes become glassy and she seems unreasonably lethargic, go in. Otherwise she is probably fine.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• yep go to doctor
    Anonymous

• Don't listen to these rude people! My DD fell out of my arms once and rolled off the couch once, I felt HORRIBLE and to this day I still do, but she was ok. Babies are tough. If she seems fine and isn't still crying and doesn't have a fever and the bruises aren't too bad or you don't think she broke any bones, she probably is fine. This has happened to a lot of parents. Just be careful about napping or co-sleeping with your baby. Put her in her crib to sleep so this won't happen again!
    Anonymous

• to be on the safe side, i would take her to doctor, and tell them what happened, better safe than sorry,
    chilimidos62

Answer by chilimidos62 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• This happened to my husband. He felt so horrible! I will say I watched her very carefully and saw no problem, she had her checkup two days later and they said she looked great. Baby's are more resilient then we think! This is why babies are more likely to survive a car accident than an adult. If you see something that isn't right like rolling eyes, unconciousness, you know those kind of things any mom would notice about her own child, do something. I'm sorry so many people are so mean, it's not like you did it on purpose! You are not a bad mom. If it really bothers you go to the doctor and get her checked, it'll give you peace of mind. I'm sure it won't happen again because you will be so aware of it now.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• When my daughter was about 4 months old, she was sitting on my lap as I put her jacket on. She saw something on the floor she wanted and leaned forward for it. With the way I was holding her at that point, I couldn't really hold onto her and she hit the floor. Oh Lord, I felt like the worst mother ever. I cried for what seemed like ever I was so upset. In any case, she was fine. Call her doctor and explain what happened. Ask what signs you should be looking out for or if they recommend she be seen right away regardless. Vomiting, unconsciousness, and extreme lethargy. It is really hard with a child this young because they don't really have eye or muscle control so you can't tell if they lose that control.
    Anonymous