How do you handle working?

I'm really sick of working already! I've been back 2 weeks and I just feel like nothing is getting done at home and I am missing so much with my babies! We had twins and they will be our last. I make pretty good money, but I hate that I am having to miss so much and have somebody else get to enjoy my babies all day! Then, by the time I get home, there is dinner to fix (hubby cleans up afterwards), laundry to do, my older one to help with homework, and try to squeeze in a little bit of time with the little ones before they need to be in bed and we do too! My son is acting out really bad since I went back, which I know I can't just quit my job to make his life easier and he needs to learn to adjust, but I just have no time for my family when I get home! I want a part time job and my mom will keep the twins for the couple of hours that I am gone, but the hubby just doesn't seem to be going for that! Help! What's your input?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• If your hubby is like mine, you have to show him how it will work first. Figure out how much you'll need to make an hour and how many hours you'll need to work . I took what I made and subtracted daycare costs, come to find out I needed to work about three 4 hour days a week and make about $4.00 an hour to equal my pay check minus daycare. Daycare costs in Maine are very high! I started working a few nights a week, then my husband felt it wasn't worth the trouble and now I'm at home. I do work from home now and I make around $10 an hour, but you get what you put into it. Show him on paper how working less will save you more and you're home free.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• When I got pregnant with our second child I already knew that I wanted to stay home. For my entire pregnancy I "proved" to my husband that we could make it on his income alone. I managed to save all of the money that I made during that time. By the time I gave birth, I had proven that we dould make it on his income AND saved almost $20k. It's been 4 years since I became a SAHM, and we are so thankful everyday that I am. I don't know how the moms do it that have to work, do homework, cook, clean and run kids to t-ball practice, etc. I am busy all day long running kids to school, to preschool, volunteering in classrooms, picking kids up, going to practices, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. I know that the working moms have to do most of those things to, I just don't see how it gets done. Present your husband a plan in writing on how you can make it without your income. Childcare has to be a big chunk of your $$.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• This may make me seem like a bad mother, but I enjoy working. While I do miss my daughter, and our time is cut short alot because of everything I have to do once I get home, I like seeing other adults and getting a break from the house everyday. I wish I could work part time, but financially, we need both of us to work...I just remember everyday that the reason I am working is because I want more for my daughter than I had. I also want to save enough money so that we can eliminate our debt before we have more children.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 1:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I work full time. I have time to attend events at my 10 year old's school, eat lunch with her, take her to all of her many practices, help with homework, cook, clean, grocery shop, and so much more. My DH and I are partners. We BOTH contribute to make our household function well, and we are both active duty army. My 3 year old told me the other night that I am the best mommy in the world, that is priceless. We love meeting up at the end of our days, cooking dinner together and talking about what happend at school, daycare, work, etc. My girls get to do so much and we go to so many different activies, that they can't wait to hear what the new adventure is. I believe that it is the partnership that my DH and I and our faith in God that keep us going and our girls thriving.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 4:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• After I had my twins, I went back to work full time. I was completely and utterly exhausted. After a few months, I just couldn't do it anymore. I decided that I was going to go part time. DH finally agreed as long as I could find a job with hours opposite of his and making enough to cover my salary minus daycare, which was the only way we could afford it.

I ended up talking to my boss and telling him that I needed to work part time and if he couldn't give me the part time schedule, I would be leaving. He said no at first. It took 2 weeks for him to come back and offer me hours that worked for me. My DH works for the same company and we job share now. It made DH happy because it was somewhat of a promotion for him (status, but not pay). It took a little adjusting, but everyone is happy with the schedule.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2009