Can I start my 4 month old on Gerber foods yet?

Or how about cereal? So far I'm only feeding her formula, just wondering when is a good time to start her.

xocyncyn

Asked by xocyncyn at 12:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why the hell haven't you emailed me back at work? And, yes, you can start on cereal...I started Jayce at 4 months. Do not put it in her bottle though. Cereal is a starter food and it has little to no nutritional value. Feed it to her on a spoon to get her used to eating from it. I wouldn't start her on baby food until she is doing good with the cereal, then start fruits or veggies...feed one kind for a couple days to watch for a reaction.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• you can try cereal. But she will probably play with it in her mouth at first, and probaly still has the tong thrust reflex, so it may be slow going tryijng to teach her how to take it. I would wait untill she can do that a little better before starting on the actual gerber foods, besides cereal. Adn wait a few days between offering new foods, like if you give her green beans only give her that for a few days to make sure she is not allergic. Only 1 new thing at a time. Good luck!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You can put cereal in her bottle. I started my son on first foods around that time. Just give her some apple sauce and stuff and see how she likes it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• my dd doc told me to start her on fruit and cereal at 4 months 1 meal a day
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My sons 5 months, and he loves the cereal. DO NOT PUT IT IN THE BOTTLE, introduce the spoon little by little. On the cereal box it'll tell you how much to use in the first feeding to the cereal. If you put it in the bottle it'll take longer to use the spoon. Feed her a couple of spoonfuls, so she'll slowly start using the spoon better and just gradually give her more. Still feed her the same amount of formula, don't change that. Don't give her applesauce either, bc its so sweet so when you do start feeding her your supposed to start with veggies first, bc they are not so sweet, if you give her sweet stuff first shes gonna want that all the time and it'll be 10 times harder to feed her her veggies, and get the nutirents from them.
    MamaStrawBerry1

Answer by MamaStrawBerry1 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I started with cereal at 4 months then veggies at 5 months (she was a slow eater) then fruit at 51/2-6 months try one new veggie a week. to make sure she does not have a bad reaction
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• my dd hated the cereal so i gave her nanners... that got her to eat
    Stickybean08

Answer by Stickybean08 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yes, as soon as my son turned 4 months I started him on Gerber foods. But it best to use the same type of food for three days straight is not allergic to it.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• westarted cereal @ 4 mo
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 2:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would say to wait at least 2 more months before introducing anything.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2009