Regarding the Lost Tomb of Jesus

Easter is coming up so I was interested . . . I saw a post last week about the Lost Tomb of Jesus and I noticed today that the question is closed. I was wondering what had happened?

Also I wanted to see if anyone had seen this info? It is an article by Kurt Van Gordon you can read it at this address: http://utahgospelmission.org/index1.html

I like what Kurt Van Gordon says in the really short article (regarding Cameron's assertion that you can't combine faith and foresnsics), "Christians believe in truth and, therefore, we use scientific studies without fear." If you are interested in this topic, read the article (it is super short).

Do you believe in the "lost tomb of Jesus"? Or do you believe Jesus rose from the dead?

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 1:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think people try to think literally what the Bible infers as "faith meant". Science is about something you can see and touch, faith is about what you believe and feel, something not measurable. If someone whole-heartedly believed in all that the Bibles says of Christ, would they stop believing if they found a body in a tomb?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• They won't find Jesus in a tomb. Not the Jesus that died and rose again. A good film to watch is "The Shroud of Turin" It talks about the shroud of Turin that was found ( the linen that was wrapped around Jesus) and his imprint on it. It is phenomenal and very well would prove Jesus did raise from the dead. See for yourself.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• FireLass.. exactly.
    Shaneagle777

• Firelass said, "I think people try to think literally what the Bible infers as "faith meant". Science is about something you can see and touch, faith is about what you believe and feel, something not measurable."

Does anyone think faith can be both, something you feel and believe as well as the truth--something you see and touch? Isn't faith based on both? (I am just saying, because I believe mine is)
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I believe God rose him from the dead.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Does anyone think faith can be both, something you feel and believe as well as the truth--something you see and touch? Isn't faith based on both? (I am just saying, because I believe mine is)

i'M not sure what you mean by that, Cinnamon Mom. For me, Hebrews 11:1 sums that up for me: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (KJV)

Having said that, my faith is strengthened somewhat by seeing the world as God created it --the trees, the animals, the way the Okefenokee grew back after a huge fire a few years ago. It was mentioned that it only took a season or two to do so.

Getting back to the OP's question, I believe that Jesus rose from the dead and try as the secular archaeologists might, they won't find Jesus' bones in a "lost tomb". Some things they do find that correlate with the Bible. But usually none that have to do with salvation.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It was an interesting program and I wish they would repeat it. In the end all the program proved was that someone named Jesus, son of Joseph and Mary may have married Miriam the teacher and had a child by her. These are all common names among people in the holy land, even today but in particular back then. I don't believe that Jesus the Christ existed as christians know him, if at all. But many Jesuses did exist at that time and several of them were even crucified. I think the story would be MORE interesting if he survived his crucifixion, married Mary Magdalene and fathered children. I'm not sure why christians would be upset if they were to find out that their Jesus was more like them--more human--than they ever thought! That WAS supposedly why he came here.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I totally agree, witchqueen!
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Witchqueen, Jesus didn't come here to be human like us; that wasn't His goal. His first goal was to pay the price for our sins and His second goal was to manifest God and teach us about the kingdom of heaven. It would have been "interesting" if He survived the crucifixion or if He had pulled Himself off the cross. But He couldn't have, because He had to die and rise again.

Paul wrote to the Corinthian Christians, “And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty” (1 Corinthians 15:14 ) I believe Jesus rose from the dead. If He hadn't why would the disciples have given their lives through many torturing martyrdoms, for a lie.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Also, why do people think that Christians don't want Jesus to have been married? People are all caught up in that because of the Da Vinci Code, a fictional book.

Historian Dr. Paul Maier, a graduate of Harvard and professor of ancient history at Western Michigan University said this, “If there were even one spark of evidence from antiquity that Jesus even may have gotten married, then as a historian, I would have to weigh this evidence against the total absence of such information in either Scripture or the early church traditions. But there is no such spark—not a scintilla of evidence—anywhere in historical sources. Even where one might expect to find such claims in the bizarre, second-century, apocryphal gospels—which the Jesus Seminar and other radical voices are trying so desperately to rehabilitate—there is no reference that Jesus ever got married.”

He wasn't married.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009