Ok...what's the difference?

I know this is going to be stupid....but what is the difference between Food Stamps & W.I.C.?

JLee07

Asked by JLee07 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm not 100%, but I think the basic difference is with food stamps you can buy basically whatever food items you want, while WIC is item specific, like only milk, cheese, cereal, etc. And WIC is only until kids are a certain age, and the woman only while pregnant or breastfeeding. Food stamps can be for the whole family.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• W.I.C. (Women, Infants and Children) is where you recieve monthly vouchers (like checks) and use them for milk, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, beans, juice, cereal, and baby formula.

Food Stamps (EBT) is like an account in which they deposit a specific amount of money each month for groceries. You use it like a debit card.
    Anonymous

• WIC provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 1:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yes, to the previous posters. Also, if you're looking into getting foodstamps, and you get denied, it DOESN'T mean you will also be denied for WIC. Hope that's helpful
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 9:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009