What five things have you learned from those who raised you and have your children learned any of it and practice it in real life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm the op and I learned 1. kids don't always belong where grown ups gather 2. respect your grandparents. 3. ironing is important 4. school is very very important. 5. it's rude to slam the door in a parent's face, to truly disrespect them. The first time my son slammed the door in my face was his last time, he spent the good part of two hours opening and closing it gently. And my son has given me respect as an adult and into adulthood teaching me that calmness in the face of anger works better than having a screaming match. I see in my son he is not his father.
    Anonymous

• Always think ahead- look at the big picture instead of the little bit that you are working on now.
    Think before you speak
    Put money aside for a rainy day
    Don't imagine that you can get away with anything, someone is always watching
    If you want it done right, do it yourself

I don't think that my children do much of any of these. Well maybe the younger one does.

Answer by Bmat at 1:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Don't judge others no matter how much you think you know there is always more to their story. - I am still working on this with my son, he sees the world as so black and white it drives me crazy.

There are always people with less than you and to help them out if/when you can because you never know when you will be the one needing help. - This one DS gets.

Save for a rainy day- Dad tries telling me that, I try telling DS, but there never seems to be enough to save.

Sometimes it is better to just have fun and let the "important stuff" like dishes and laundry wait. DS is 16- he gets this too well!

Just because something costs more doesn't mean it is better/you don't need name brands just because "everyone else has it". DS really does get this he is actually a great bargain hunter.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Do unto others as you would want done to you..
    If you want something go after it..
    Love yourself first..
    Put others before yourself..
    Smile, its contagious..
    Children learn by example and I have seen them do all of these so hopefully we're doing something right.....
    Anonymous

• The haves and the have nots can always be traced back to the dids and the did nots. Meaning if you work hard you will live a comfortable life, if you are lazy...well there you go. Finish your education, don't take a break or you may not return Attitude is contagious good or bad. Save your penny's. Pay yourself first then those you owe and save the rest. I'm 3rd! God is first, others are second and I am third. With God and love all things are possible Yes I am proud to say for the most part my children live by these unwritten laws.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2009