would you let your 8 year old take allergy shots,if he begged you not to .

I have an 8 year old that I took to the allergist,and they did the skin testing,and then they had to give him 3 injections ,and he is so little he cried really bad.he didnt want to go,but he is always stuffed up,cough.they found out is is allergic to every kind of grass,dust,mites,cats,dogs,all kinds of foods.they gave him a lot of medicine,but they wan't to start the shots every week,and he is begging me not to do that to him.what would you do?

Diane814

Asked by Diane814 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I used to work at a pediatricians office and would see these kids (same age as yours) come in for allergy shots, the first couple of times is rough, they cry, kick and scream. But, eventually they get used to it. Try to go when the office isn't busy, reward him after every shot, and he will feel much better allergy wise getting the shots. Oh and, eventually, he will move up and go every 2 weeks, then monthly, it gets easier. Good luck to you.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You know what he is allergic to. I would explain what the shots are for and if he still doesn't want them then don't make him. He can get them done when he is older.

Is he on something like Claritin D for the nasal congestion? It is a decongestant and antihistamine.

I had the skin tests done as an adult and was severely allergic to dust mites. They didn't give me anything afterwards and within 6 hrs I had a migraine soo bad I couldn't stand up and was in bed for 2 days. I have not done the desensitizing shots.

They are going to inject him with low doses of each of the things he is allergic to weekly for 12 weeks then the shots continue for a little while longer.

AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Depending on where you live a humidifier used at night and saline spray every day will help. There are also natural nasal sprays by Similasan. http://www.similasanusa.com/products-sinus-relief.cfm

AussieMum2

• You have to do what's best for your child,I would rather my child cry 15 min,because of a shot,then stay sick all the time.I would'nt want my child to have shots all the time either,but it is for their own good,and to keep him healthy.Good luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have the same problem your son does and yes it is awful, but in my opinion the shots arent worth it. if they were a quick fix then yes but all there are for is to get u immune to what you are allergic to, that takes about 5 yrs of shots. if i were you, i would try every over the counter allergy med. b 4 i would go as drastic as the shots, trust me, i know how he feels. i went to a allergist and i am allergic to everything to, trees,grass,mold,dust mites, and the list goes on. i would not do it
    itainteasy25

Answer by itainteasy25 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My brother had to have shots when he was a kid. After a few times in the office, my mom was giving them at home.

My brother is in his 30's now and doesn't have a single thing bother him. He has no allergic reactions to mold, dust, mildew, milk, chocolate, etc....

I was allergic to the same things, but not "as bad" so I wasn't give shots. I am now majorly allergic to the same things and more (with the exception of milk and chocolate...mine are all environmental) and I now have asthma.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Since there is some controversy about how effective the shots are I'd do some more research.
    regina95

Answer by regina95 at 7:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2009