My son is almost 7 months and is breastfed he still is waking up at night to eat is that okay?

My son is 7 months and is breastfed, he still is waking up at night to eat. I do the same bedtime routine everynight. He has his cereal around 7pm, we play, have bathtime and a story around 7:45pm then I nurse him as long as possible and he is in bed sometime after 8pm. Then around 11:30-12:00 he wakes and my husband and I try to let him cry it out, but it doesn't work so I feed and change him and he goes right back to sleep. (sometimes he is awake when I put him into his crib, but he eventually will go back to sleep). Then he wakes up again between 5:30-6:00am I do the same thing and he will go back to sleep till7:30am. Am I doing everything I can or is there other advice someone can give me. Is this normal for him to get up at night to eat or am I spoiling him?

TheresaSch

Asked by TheresaSch at 2:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think youre doing great. I could never let my DD cry it out. My DD is 6 1/2 months and does the same thing. She wakes up every 3-4 hours and as soon as I nurse her she's out. I know that breastfed babies do wake up more often than formula fed. My Dd goes to sleep at about 9:30. wakes up between 1 and 2 to eat. sleeps. wakes up about 4 to eat then sleep til about 8:30. been her routine for a long time. sometimes I wish she would sleep longer but if theyre hungry what are you gonna do. Good luck:) I think you're doing fine:) BTW, I don't think you can spoil the little ones but some people do .
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You're doing fine. I'll suggest two things that could help. 1. Is your baby falling asleep at the breast before bed? If so, try switching up your routine. Cereal, nurse, bath then bed. This way baby isn't falling asleep on the breast and has to go to sleep on his own accord. Babies who learn to go to sleep on their own are less likely to wake you up in the middle of the night. ALL babies wake up several times at night...the question is really whether they go back to sleep on their own of if they wake you up. 2. If it really is a hunger thing, try giving a supplemental bottle of formula or breast milk right before bed.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think it's normal. My son just turned 8 months and every once in a while, he will sleep through the night, but not very often. I actually think for us, it's good that he gets up and nurses because I pump all day at work and I think the night nursing helps keep my supply up. Plus it's our chance to spend some quality time together.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You all are giving me good advice and definitely making me feel better. I have a few people in my life giving me a hard time that he still gets up at night. I can't help it. If he is up he's up and I gotta help him out. I will try to switch the routine to feeding and then bath and then bed. I know he can fall asleep on his own when he takes naps sometimes so maybe that changerooo will help him at night. Thanks :)
    TheresaSch

Answer by TheresaSch at 2:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i agree bethany169...i think you need to jsut do what your LO is asking. Just look at it as good bonding time. One thing a friend of mine told me at my baby shower...."when they wake you up in the middle of the nite just look at it as that much more special time you get with your LO." enjoy it while you can:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• This is absolutely normal! You do not have to let your baby cry it out. Babies actually can need their mommy during the night and you are not spoiling him by meeting his needs.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• let him cry it out
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 11 months old and still wakes at night to eat. Since i work all day she nurses more during the night. I am tired but I know she wont do this forever and when she stops waking at night I will miss it, crazy I know.
    Ashley53

Answer by Ashley53 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the support ladies!
    TheresaSch

Answer by TheresaSch at 5:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• One more thing--unless he's prone to diaper rashes, you might want to try not changing him when he wakes up in the middle of the night. I know, at least with my son, that makes him more wide awake so if he's just wet, I just feed him and let the diaper change wait til morning. We use disposables and they do a good job of keeping the moisture away from his skin.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2009