Does anyone know the best way to sleep train? My baby is 6 monyhs old and he is wanting to eat at night, his bottle and doesn't drink enough during the day? How do I reverse this? I'm getting NO sleep!! HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just stick to a routine and let him adjust to YOUR schedule. I could never put my baby down at 7 like some people. she has put herself on a schedule and goes to sleep at 9:30 when I do and wakes up once or twice to eat and then sleeps til 8:30. Maybe try offering him his bottle more often and maybe some solids with it. Not necessarily, rice or oatmeal b/c that is constipating but my DD has been doing solids for about a month and seems a little more satisfied. when you feed him during the day try a dark quiet room so he;s not distracted. My DD gets distracted very easily. Good luck. She is also 6 months old.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• First a warning: I used this after the 1 year mark, with excursively breastfed babies; while the concept translates, results will vary.

Institute a "no milk" period during the night. Choose the most precious 4 hours of the night and commit to getting to sleep through them, even if it means giving them up for a few nights. Now from midnight to 4AM you will not feed your baby. You will not even turn on a light. You should still pick up and comfort your baby, and even hold him for an hour if you need to, but do not get the bottle or turn on any lights until 4 AM. The first night is excruciating, the second night is better, but still hard. For me the third night was easy, and the fourth night I was not awakened till after my time period. Once your baby understands that when it is dark and the lights are off there will be no food, you can expand the no feed time till dawn, and soon you will have a night weened child.
    MommaAprilP

Answer by MommaAprilP at 2:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• intersting MommaAprilP....I will have to try that when she's a bit older:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• When my son was 7 months old I had had anough of not sleeping. He was also bottle fed. I gave him a bottle before bed (also at 6 months he should be on solids and that should help) and I did NOT feed him over night. Three nights in a row I was up all night patting his back and singing to him. Really frustrating but it paid off. He sleeps 7pm to 6am everyday now.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 2:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• MommaApril that is a good idea!
    TheresaSch

Answer by TheresaSch at 2:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have to say at 6 months, not feeding a hungry baby is not something I would do no matter how tired I am.No matter what, he is hungry.What you could try tho is introducing a few solids, maybe cereal to his dinnertime/or pre bed feeding. It will last longer and he may not get hungry until morning.. At 6 months this isn't something your baby can help, their tummies are too small to hold enough sometimes to make it thru the nite. Hang in there mom, I know you are tired and it gets better. When you try diff things to keep him full, he will start sleeping thru the nite. Think of it from his perspective, he prolly isn't having fun waking up in the middle of the nite hungry either.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I will add that in addition to refusing the primary feeding technique you may need to add water and possibly a non-bottle form of food. For the first few minutes of the non-feeding just hold and sooth your baby, but after that try giving a bottle of water or a couple spoonfuls of yogurt or cereal. If you haven't added solids to baby's diet yet, you may just need to wait and try later after you have more non-bottle options. The idea is to make getting food something the baby isn't looking forward to, so if she isn't REALLY hungry she will stay asleep, and also so she is more motivated to eat enough before bed to sustain her through the night.
    MommaAprilP

Answer by MommaAprilP at 6:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2009