How many toys are too much?

I am cleaning out the house, they have too much, closets filled, toy boxes, under the bed, I think it is gross, and honestly they don't play with nothing. I hate the dust, and too many teddy bears, I am not doing it around them, but when they are not around. Just so you know, they were gifts, and I didn't buy them all. Next, time I do think of buying them some junk, I will remember I would rather go out for the day or save for a weekend get away. What do you think?

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I just got rid of 3/4 of my kiddos toys.

I basically picked out two or 3 toys per child, the ones they played with most or that were super special for one reason or another and ditched the rest.

I figure, they dont need more than that and other children could use the unplayed with ones. kwim?
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If they haven't played with them for more than a year and I can't pass the age appropriate ones to the younger kids I get rid of them at yard sales and salvation army. Christmas and birthdays are always around the corner and new toys will very quickly fill their spaces! Oh yeah, and I do it when they aren't looking so they aren't all,"oh I love that, it's mine! Don't get rid of it!" they don't even know it's gone.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I went through that also..I was afraid to throw out any toy because I didnt want to offend parents/ or anyone else who bought the toys.. But soon you feel like a toy factory barfed in your house... My sugestion is to go through (with your kids if they are old enough or if they will be receptive) the toys and set some aside for homeless shelters/ childrens homes (this way the toys go to someone who can really use them). Pack a box of toys that you keep put up.. then after about 6 months take those toys out and pack the ones your kids are playing with now (rotate them.. your kids will be excited to see toys they havent played with in a while) this saves money, and makes the kids feel like they are still getting something new. Hope it helps! God Bless!
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 2:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My mom used to make us clean out before Christmas AND birthdays. If we didn't play with it in the last 2 months, or in my sister and my case if our barbies were not clothed,nicely brushed hair and al her things put away properly then I got given to a womens shealter. She said if we couldn't be nice to our toys then other little girls would be. LOL so we never had many toys, just because my mo didn't want us to have 5 bazillion things laying around. And our toys were kept in our rooms. NO WHERE ELSE. I'm thinking I'll do that same with ym daughter (she's 7mons) it will teach her to keep her toys nice and thread out unwanted toys as well.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• We just had to go through DD toys also... We kept a few of the special toys down for her to play with & the toys she likes & plays with alot & toys she can still learn from, some we put in the attack for the next child.. the nicer toys that we didnt want to keep are going to good will & alot of it went to the trash --- its amazing how many McDonald toys, vending machine toys, ect. you end up collecting!
    I think DH finally noticed there isnt a need for ANOTHER stuffed toy-no matter how cute, or soft--just keep walking! He loves buying her cute lil stuffed toys for some reason! I think that came to a halt the other day when he helped me go through her toys.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'm in the process of clearing out. I think anything above what they play with is too much. My oldest has two toy boxes full of things he doesn't touch. I took out what the baby could play with and put it in his room. Now I"m sorting to give away. Our local animal shelter loves to get stuffed animals for the puppies that come in! My DS' school just had a supply drive for our counties animal shelter! I donated a few and several receiving blankets neither of my boys use and I'm not having any more! :o) A good rule I'm adopting: for one that comes in, one must go out. GL

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009