The family of the woman mauled by the chimp is asking $50M. What do you think about this?

The family of the woman mauled nearly to death by her friend's pet chimp is asking for $50M. I'm sure they will have to settle for a lot less, but what do you think? Should she pay up, or should there be another consequence?

LIZARD66

Asked by LIZARD66 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think she should have to pay and do jail time.
    Anonymous

• I am sure it wasn't on purpose. Does she have permanent damage that will be life long? She won't be able to work, etc...If she will fully recover (and it was an accident) I say the friend is responsible for her medical bills but $50 mil is a little much to me.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 2:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think she should get a settlement but 50M is a little much.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 3:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/03/04/2009-03-04_charla_nash_woman_mauled_by_pet_chimp_tr.html

Ok well the above link didn't take, but after reading this I don't know....she did go there to help, but this poor woman you gotta read what happened to her before you answer!

50M doesn't even cover the life lost : quality of life if she lives and complete loss of life if she dies.

But this was her friend and would this ruin her life too?

What kind of insurance does the owner have on this animal?

After considering all this, I hope that lady had insurance cause I think the $money is well deserved and much needed for her long term care if she makes it..
    cindie83099

Answer by cindie83099 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think she should get a big wad of cash, but not $50 Mil. From what I heard the beast pretty much ripped her whole face off. On the other hand, she was the owner's friend, and she went over there to visit, knowing the woman harbored a wild animal, and it IS (was) a wild animal, no matter how docile it acted. I hope the old lady that owned the critter had good insurance, but they said the chimp was in some movies, so she probably did.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I do think she should get some sort of settlement but 50M is just a bit steep, I could see them seeking out that much if all of this had happened just by being at the wrong place at the wrong time however she was there willingly and knew what the situation was, its not like she went there to visit with her friend and the chimp just so happened to be out she went there knowing he was out and distraught and the owner needed help getting him back in

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I hate lawsuits like this..they spend years in the judicial system wasting time, all so money hungry people can get some. she went there to help coax the Illegal animal back into her friend's house..she shouldn't get a penny..it's as bad as the whole "spilled coffee BS" where the lady got 2 million(if I remember right) sure the homeowner should have to pay the medical bills, but come on people use the brains you were given! it's a wild animal, don't expect it to be domesticated!
    Anonymous

• Charla Nash, 55, lost her nose, lips, eyelids and hands when the 200-pound primate ripped her apart last month, her doctors said.

She also suffered brain damage, possible blindness and several broken bones in her face from the brutal mauling, which shocked even hardened medical pros.

Nash remains in critical condition. Doctors are unsure when - if ever - they can begin to rebuild her ravaged body.

"The full extent of these injuries and her potential for recovery, if any, remain unclear at this time," Cleveland Clinic officials said in a statement. "Any consideration of reconstructive options is premature."
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 4:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The owner of the animal is responsible for any and all damages. The woman was a guest in her home, and the owner could not control the animal. It does not matter if the animal was "wild" or not, pet dogs can do devastating damage is well.

It sounds like the woman will be permanently disfigured.  She may be blind, and suffer brain damage.  While 50 million seems high, it's a good possibility her medical bills and care, which will probably go on and on for years, could reach that amount. 

What is your face, your sight, and your brain worth to you?

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The woman obviously needs to pay for her medical expenses, as well as time and suffering. If she is unable to recover and live a normal life, well, then the price tag goes up.

What really bothers me is that it HAS to be a lawsuit. The woman who was hanging on to a wild animal should be stepping up to the plate. The 50 million is simply shock value, so when it settles it will look like a bargain. But still, this was her friend!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009