What to expect at Early Intervention for a 9 month old!

I just had my lo's 9 month well visit today. They recommended he be evaluated by early intervention for the following reasons: (please keep in mind he was 1 month premature)
Does not crawl
Cannot go from a sit to stand position
Cannot go from a lay down to sit position
Does not cruise along furniture
Does not hold his own bottle or sippy cup
Does not wave bye, bye or hello
Can pick up very small objects like finger foods but will not put in his mouth.

I am a nervous wreck about this! What has been your experiences with early intervention with a baby this young? What do I expect? Pedi said he would benefit from occupational and physical therapy as well as possible speech therapy.

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 2:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son's pediatrician wanted us to do the same!!!!! Our son was 8 months old though. My husband and I decided we would give it 3 to 4 more weeks with us working with him on our own and then if it didn't work, we would go. We were successful! He is now doing EVERYTHING.

We weren't tooooo concerned about it though...it's not like the kid will NEVER learn how to do that stuff, ya know? It's not like I would have a 6 year old just laying there, drooling, unable to put food in his mouth..... LOL

Don't freak out. I think your baby is just fine, especially since he was a month early. He's right on time with my BRILLIANT son! :)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I haven't had any therapy issues for my child but from what I hear it will be mostly play for him. The therapist should give you ideas of things to do at home too.
    But it is odd that your doctor is this concerned at 8 months. Below are the "norms":

About half of all babies start to crawl around 7 month. About half do it later. Most can crawl by 10 months... 2 months away for your little guy.
    About half can pull themselves to standing at 9 months - still a month away for you.
    Most can't get into a sitting position on their own until they can crawl.
    About half start cruising at 9 months - again, that means half aren't yet - and that's still a month away for you.
    About half can drink from a sippy at 9 months but many refuse to hold it themselves.
    - cont -
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Most babies can wave byebye at 10 months - 2 months away for you still.
    Most babies have a pincer grasp by 10 months - 2 months away.

Keep the apointment since your doctor may be seeing something more than you describe but based on what you say, your little guy isn't really behind at all.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-7-to-12-months_1496587.bc

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My twins have been in EI for a little over a year. They were 11 weeks premature, so the doctor recommended it right away. I can not say enough how much I love EI and the therapists. My son has cerebral palsy and he has made AMAZING progress. He's even surprising the therapists now. My daughter has caught up to her age group in almost every skill, she has even surpassed her age level in some areas.

The first meeting will be an evaluation by several therapists. Normally it's the speech, occupational, physical, and developmental therapists; plus the case co-ordinator. They with play with your LO, observe skill levels, and see if there is more than a 30% delay in any area. If so, your LO will qualify for services. They will recommend any therapies that are needed.

cont....
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• occupational will work on the fine motor skills, like picking up food, buttoning and zipping, etc.

physical will work on gross motor skills like crawling, walking, etc. basically building muscle strength.

speech will work on not only the verbal communication skills, but also the cognative skills of recognizing objects and putting names to objects.

Most of the therapy will be in your home. They are all trained to work with children. If you need any more info, pm me. My kids are in 13 therapies a week, so I'm very familiar with EI.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2009