Would you give your child money for good grades?

I took my 7 year old daughter shopping the other day. My mom took custody of her a few months ago....long story. Anyways...she had $41 with her. I asked her where she got all her money from. She told me that her grandma gives her $5 for every test she passes. My daughter called it her allowance. Would you motivate your child to get good grades with money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My parents did that with me. I would get so much for every grade. Like $10 for every A and $5 for every B. I don't remember the exact amount of each but I was a straight A student so they were always dishing out money. It was a great motivation for me.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No, I don't believe in paying a kid for what they are suppose to do anyway. Also grades don't necessarily show how much they learned. They could only be getting a c in a class but if it is a challenging class and they are giving 100% that might be a good grade and they probably are learning a lot. An easy class could pull an A but not teach them anything.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I didn't give them cash, although I was given a certain amount of coins for good grades when I was in early elementary. They get one present very very reasonably priced when report cards come out showing great improvement of maintenance at C or above. Grades below C are not rewarded, sometimes things are taken away and time is restructured.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't but her grandparents would. My dad has my daughter saving every 100 from her AR tests and in order to encourage her to keep reading (which she already loves) he is letting her cash in a test for a snow cone that they will go get together. He thinks it will encourage her to read more books because she is content with one every few days and it is a way that she will call him and they can have their special thing together this summer. In high school (maybe middle) he would pay us for our report cards $30 for an A $10 for a B, he wouldn't buy C's and we paid him for D's ($30) or F's($50).
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No. I don't believe that rewards for grades is appropriate. Of course they will get praise and support - both for grades that are good and grades that need to be inproved. But my child attends a school where he does not get a grade so no worries about that here. His progress is measured by what he knows and can accomplish. Then he moves to the next stage. He is motivated by forward progress and self satisfaction. Not by some grade on report or the money I give him.
    Anonymous

• I have 2 opinions about it--cant decide which is best..
    1. If its something that would motivate my child to get better grades, it may work for us. but i would only give her money for report cards (NOT test) & it wouldnt be that much.
    2. I think getting the grade is the reward for doing your work well. and in return you get to pass the class & move up a grade. so giving money would be like your boss giving you a bonus every week for making your normal 40 hours..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have yes. But now both my school age children are honor students no. I did bribe them with money when the one was failing.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No. I don't give cash or other rewards for them doing what is expected of them.

Don't get me wrong...they are rewarded for things, especially major accomplishments! But helping with chores and doing their best in school are expected.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I got money for good grades in high school..but only for A's. Yeah..I was broke. ;P
    irishstarz

Answer by irishstarz at 4:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'm not going to pay my child for something he should be doing anyway.

When he did bring me home a great report card, I kept bringing it up. Like, "Man, I am so excited about this report card!! I mean seriously, can I post it somewhere!?"
    He smiled and said sure Mom. Now he gets all excited when he gets an "A" on his tests. He comes running like "Guess what!?" and I'm all like "What?!" ...."I got an "A", on my history test" ..."Get out of here! Are you serious!? That's what I'm talkin' bout!"

I might let him bindge on icecream that night for his efforts, but pay him? No way. Then he'll EXPECT it from me and he won't be working towards and A to learn, he'll be working for an A to get money.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 4:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2009