Being Around Vaccinated Kids...

My daughter is 8 weeks old and my neice is 6 months old. My daughter has not recieved any shots since I'm unsure if she is going to get any and my neice is up to date on hers... is it okay for my daughter to be around her since she has not been vaccinated.... can it make my daughter sick? Are the shots active?

CocoB22

Asked by CocoB22 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol ummm she cannot make ur daughter sick YOUR daughter can make HER sick! ...
    Anonymous

• i don't think it can make her sick...if anything it would be because she still has a very weak immune system...as long as your neice doesn't have a cold or any bug which you really can't tell anyway, then it should be fine. Just rmember that the bug is most contagious 3 days before they actually get sick so theres really no way of knowing. I didn't take my DD around any kids for a couple months. Just don't get them too close f youre worried.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No, a vaccinated child cannot make your unvaccinated child sick. Vaccinations are NOT active or contain a weakened virus. If your child was around another child that had a disease then your baby could get sick from that.
    Anonymous

• Before you decide not to vaccinate you really should read up on it. I am not telling you either is better, but you defintely don't know the facts on not vaccinating. I am sure there are some groups on here that you can join to get more info. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• btw...my DD is vaxed.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• poster- I don't vax and my daughter and she goes to daycare, so shes been around kids that have been vaxed and shes been fine. she just turned 2 so shes been there a while. No worries- If you have questions about the vaccines that they recommend then let me know.

- to the anon above, the first answer, your daughter will not make the vaxed child sick- or vice versa. if your kid is vaxxed then what are you worrying about, jesus i get tired of saying that , some people are ignorant
    casd

Answer by casd at 2:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• BTW- IM PART OF A GROUP ON HERE THATS EDUCATE BEFORE YOU VACCINATE.

casd

Answer by casd at 3:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• What exactly are all the non-vaxer's afraid their child will get if they get vaxed? I know they won't like it if their kid gets measles, mumps, rubella, polio...etc. You don't get Autism from vaccines. So, why not get them? I'm lost.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Your niece will not make your daughter sick. Your daughter would be more likely to make your niece sick, however.

But since your niece has received her vaccinations, if she were to come down with the disease, she would most likely have a much lighter case because she is better protected.
    Anonymous

• "What exactly are all the non-vaxer's afraid their child will get if they get vaxed? I know they won't like it if their kid gets measles, mumps, rubella, polio...etc. You don't get Autism from vaccines. So, why not get them? I'm lost"
    You can't definitively make that statement and call it true. No one knows exactly. Each parent has to make their own decisions for their children. Let's simply give information and not question each others parenting choices please.
    The answer to the original posters question would be maybe. If a vaccinated child is exposed to some things, they can carry the disease and not be affected by it because of their developed immunity. They can however, pass it on to others who have not been vaccinated. It should be said that this would be a rare occurrence and not something to stress about. Simply take general precautions, about avoiding those with a fever etc & let your DD interact normally.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2009