No bashing please, but we are low on money for this week. I don't know if I can wait for next week bc my girls might have an ear infection. My girls were on welfare insurance, but now that we have it through hubbys work they don't get it anymore through welfare.

0so everytime we go to the doctor we have to pay a 20 copay and get meds if it is needed but i don't know the cost until i pick it up. I have been in and out of doctors and on diffrent meds for headaches (long story) then my younest has been in and out for a cloged tear duct she had at 3 weeks old and on meds for it. At 8 months she had it opened up but at 14 months old it is doing it again. I am taking her thurs. to the dr also getting ears checked bc she has a cold maybe ear infection. The thing is my oldest also has a cold. She said when she coughs or yans her ear pops can she maybe have an ear infection? She is 4. I can't afford to take both in that is 40.00 then both for meds and also eye meds for my baby. So my ? is are there anything that is over the counter or home remidies I can use that will help for a cold and if they do have an ear infection??? Thanks so much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Don't bother the ER with an ear infection, just call the Dr and tell them the situation, also, ask if thry can give you samples. They would rather help your kids get better and have the copay a little later than not see you and have your kids get really really sick. Good Luck.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If it is indeed an ear infection, they need antibiotics, can't get antibiotics without a rx. If you're on a good, close basis with their pediatrician, maybe you could call in and see if they would just call something in so that you don't have to pay the office visit copay. I wouldn't let it go too long though b/c it could cause them more problems.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 2:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• At my dr's office I can tell them to bill me later for the copay and they will send a bill by mail usually a month or so afterwards. So if I dont have the cash right then, then I can still go.
    Anonymous

• go the the ER and deal with the bill later and use the copay to get their medicine

Anonymous

• i suggest the ER they wont charge you a co pay and you will of course have to deal with the bill later but thats better then not getting her treatment if she needs it.
    but till you decide what you wana do heres what my mom did for us when we had a ear ache
    get a nice warm rag and let her lay that ear on it. the heat will help with the pain a bit.
    Anonymous

• My dr's office will let me pay the copay later as long as I sign a form they have that states that I have incurred this bill and I agree to pay it by X date. You might call and ask them if they can work with you like that, then you could pay them next week, and use the money to cover the rx.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My pediatrician is great. If I have 2 sick kidos i set up an appointment for one (one copay) then when I am there I mention that my other kid has lets say a "popping ear" and ask if she would look at it. She is real good about it. and she just writes the rx for the other kid.

Also, even if you have private insurance you may still qualify for welfare medical. It will act as a secondary and just pick up copays and RX costs. You might want to check into it. In Oregon if you are within income limits then you can.
    Anonymous