I am one day past my due date. i tried castor oil at 38 1/2 weeks and it didn't work! do you think it is ok to try again?

Tiffany811

Asked by Tiffany811 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You could. What is the rush? I didn't think you were supposed to try castor oil until on are after your due date anyways. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I've never known that to work. The baby will come when the baby is ready to come out. Try walking though. I'd do that before taking castor oil.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• surely you'll have your baby before I had my first one, about just under three weeks late!! Just give it some time. What music relaxes you? Listen to that and just practice your breathing. Soon enough baby will come. Never heard of the castor oil trick. One day is nothing being past due. I know your discomfort though, it's hard. How about a professional massage, some cater to pregnant women.
    Anonymous

• All castor oil does is give you poop cramps, not labor cramps. It's very dangerous too! Try pineapple, raspberry leaf tea, spicy foods, WALKING and sex. Those are the ones that are safe. The ONLY ones doctors ever tell you work are sex and walking.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• NOOOOOO!!! Castor Oil is NOT safe!! Not only can it deydrate you and cause problems in labor that can lead of to a c-section but it can also cause your baby to release meconium in the womb which can be extremely dangerous.

There are some safer ways to get labor going and I'll post them below but remember your baby will come when he or she is ready!

*Cumin Tea- No more than one cup an hour per day. (To make...place 1 cummin seed in 1 cup boiling water and allow to steep for 5 minutes. Add a cube of raw potatoe to soak up the bitterness and add sugar or honey to taste)

*Raspberry Leaf Tea- RBL tea helps to tone the uterus and ready it for labor. It can also cause minor contractions and if your body is ready it can help get things going.

*"Sex and set"- There is a hormone is spermal fluid that helps to soften the cervix so it can start to dialate

Anonymous

• *Gravity- Walk, rock, dance, anything that uses gravity

* Bath- taking a warm bath can help to relax you and sometimes relaxing is all you need to go into labor

*Acuputure- You can find the pressure points on line that you or you SO can do to get labor going.

*Bumping car ride -sounds dumb I know but it CAN work if the baby isn't in a good position to apply pressure to the cervix to get things going.
    Anonymous

• Continued from above...

Other things you should NOT try!!!:

Black or Blue Cohosh- These are both VERY dangerous. They can cause excessive bleeding during delivery and Blue Cohosh has been linked to infant heart attack!!! Remember natural doesn't mean safe. Cohosh has it's place in this world but it's NOT in labor.

Fasting- Pretty much the same reasons as Castor Oil. It's not a good idea nor is it healthy.
    Anonymous