Potty training: have you tried this? PIOG

Just wondering if any Moms have just put underwear on their child and let them have accidents until they learn.... My son will pee on the potty but doesn't tell me when he needs to go and still pees and poos in his diaper. He refuses to poop on the potty. So, I' wondering if I just buy him underwear and deal with the extra laundry if he will "get it" faster? I'll put a old blanket on the couch and when it gets warm, just let him run around in the underwear and a T. What do you think???

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, be aware that most kids will not tell you that they need to go with any reliablity. Expecting that of him is like expecting him to read his own stories and put himself to bed. He's not there yet and won't be for quite a while. He may ask in the beginning but he will soon learn to fight off the feeling and to answer "NO" when you ask so he can keep playing. Don't ask. Don't expect him to ask. TELL him it is time to go. Every hour until he gets it. Then every 2 hours or when you notice he has to go. You can stop when he takes himself to the bathroom without telling you, every time, and stays dry. "I was too busy playing" accidents are common into grade school.

I tried putting mine in undies so she'd feel the wet but she just went if she had ANYTHING on. So, I went with the bare-bottom method. That worked better for us.

Also be aware that poop training frequently takes months (or years) longer.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2009