Will this work? Potty training... PIOG

Just wondering if any Moms have just put underwear on their child and let them have accidents until they learn.... My son will pee on the potty but doesn't tell me when he needs to go and still pees and poos in his diaper. He refuses to poop on the potty. So, I' wondering if I just buy him underwear and deal with the extra laundry if he will "get it" faster? I'll put a old blanket on the couch and when it gets warm, just let him run around in the underwear and a T. What do you think???

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• no TV or computer for the first few days just you and him together Let him know you are there to help him all the way if he finishes in the potty or not give him praise for at least trying don't make a issue out of him making a mess just reassure him that accidents happen and you will clean it and he can try again next time You will be surprised how in a few days the need to go feeling will kick in on it's own and he will begin running to the potty all by himself or he will tell you he needs to go As for the poop in the potty be patient it is normal for children to delay on that I know of children who become constipated by holding it in but remember one step at a time Just be patient with him if he wants to try then nothing wrong with that but you need to remember you will have a full plate infront of you the next couple of months so don't over due yourself Potty training can be very stressfull especially if it's your 1st time
    a_ramli05

Answer by a_ramli05 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• good question im having the same problem with my daughter and shes 3 years old i have no idea what else to do i have tried lots of stuff :(
    Anonymous

• It didn't work for me, and I had a lot more laundry to do as well!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You are half correct...I just finished potty training Ayah in September and we had a bit of a set back before the new baby came and now we seem to be back on track....I am one who firmly believes that if you want potty train then you need to go full force with the idea....You know your little man better than anyone and you would know if he is ready.....but to be honest with you hun with the new baby on her way in only a few days (yippee for you) I don't think it's a good Idea to start right now.....For example my youngest son before the baby is 20 months and though I believe he is ready age wise with the baby only being 3 weeks old I plan on waiting till he is used to the idea of the new baby and try then...I'm hoping by the time he is 2 which will be in July....See how he adjusts to the new baby in the beginning and how much of a big brother he can be by helping you with her by getting diapers for you and wipes for you
    a_ramli05

Answer by a_ramli05 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• and getting bottles and other small things first and when you feel better ( because of your c section) then when you feel you are on a schedule with him and her and you are going to be able to put all your efforts into potty training I say go for it full force...SIt down and talk to him about what is going to happen how he is going to start using the potty and be a big boy....You know what types of rewards will work with him and together throw away the diapers and buy lots and I mean lots of big boy undies (about 20 to start off with) and then begin waking him up about a half hour before he normally gets up in the morning and take him to use the rest room (wether he is successful or not) and put his big boy undies on him...Keep him confined to one room of the house (if you can) and make it a point to not go any where for the first few days...and when he starts to go run him to the potty and have him try to finish in there....
    a_ramli05

Answer by a_ramli05 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My sons pedi told me to do that when he was potty trained and it was just a mess! He potty trained in his own time. I dont think you can rush them. You may want to get some cloth training pants. They look like underwear but are water proof and dont absorb the pee so he can feel it more if he has an accident.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the answers, a ramli- THANKS!!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2009