What have you had to change about your diet when you were diagnosed with GD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• eat less carbs like bread and sugar!!! it sucked but im good and so my lil one
    Anonymous

• Less carbs. You can still have some, but just in moderation. It is best to keep your sugar levels down through diet so you don't have to be put on insulin. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Less carbs and change the TYPE of carbs too, no more pizza dough, white bread, potatoes, spaghetti... Whole grains and veggies were the only carbs I could eat without spiking my sugar. Also had to watch the condiments; no bbq sauce, creamy salad dressing, light on the ketchup, etc...

It was really hard and I still ended up on insulin, but it was so worth it. The baby is healthy and so am I.
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 3:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• And the best part is not only do most women go back to normal, like I did (pending my 6 week glucose test)... But it helped me establish some really healthy eating habit that I am going to stick with even though I dont need to... And the diet keeps the pregnancy pounds at a healthy level (or at least for me it did) Im already in prepregnancy clothes and the baby is week old!
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 3:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• the biggest thing i had to change was cutting out my craving foods, and i actually had to start eating more than i was before i found out i had it. Before i found out, i would eat one large meal and 2 snacks a day, or somtimes 2 meals and one snack, but now they want me to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, plus they want me to eat 4 servings of carbs at each meal with a serving of protein, a serving of dairy, and a serving of veggies, i'm lucky if i get the 2 servings of carbs in at each mea., i just can't eat that much right now. So i eat the meat, veggies and some carbs, but it works out and i haven't had issue with my bloodsugar being to high.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009