Anything else I can do?

Hey everyone so I'm 39wks and my doctor wants to induce me on Thursday because of some health issues. The only thing is that I really don't want to be. Last time I was checked I was thin and 1cm but I'm not having contractions I really want to get things going on my own so I don't have to be induced. I was told to walk have sex and drink that oil stuff but nothing is working so I was just wondering does anyone else have any ideas on what I can do to get contractions going so I don't have to be induced?

leemarie18

Asked by leemarie18 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if none of that worked ur gonna most likely have to be induced
    Anonymous

• try bouncing gently on a yoga ball to get the baby to go down further (its totally safe), or theres red rasberry leaf tea. nothing worked for me, but then again my husband was away in iraq so we couldnt try one obvious option lol which ive heard is the best cuz the sperm softens the cervix plus the whole manipulation of the membranes thing. oh has your ob tried that yet? the manipulation is supposed to help. good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• first off you don't have to be induced, that's comletely your decision. Now depending on the health issues that is what you should take into consideration. My only other suggestion is to go for a car ride over a very bumpy road, walk up a hill and don't take a break until you absolutely have to. Good luck!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 3:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• no she hasn't done that yet maybe Thursday before she starts inducing I could ask her about that first.
    leemarie18

Answer by leemarie18 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• no I have to be induced I'm having major problems with my blood pressure and my kidneys if she doesn't come on her own its c section or induce
    leemarie18

Answer by leemarie18 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• *Cumin Tea- No more than one cup an hour per day. (To make...place 1 cummin seed in 1 cup boiling water and allow to steep for 5 minutes. Add a cube of raw potatoe to soak up the bitterness and add sugar or honey to taste)

*Raspberry Leaf Tea- RBL tea helps to tone the uterus and ready it for labor. It can also cause minor contractions and if your body is ready it can help get things going.

*"Sex and set"- There is a hormone is spermal fluid that helps to soften the cervix so it can start to dialate

*Gravity- Walk, rock, dance, anything that uses gravity

* Bath- taking a warm bath can help to relax you and sometimes relaxing is all you need to go into labor

*Acuputure- You can find the pressure points on line that you or you SO can do to get labor going.

*Bumping car ride -sounds dumb I know but it CAN work if the baby isn't in a good position to apply pressure to the cervix to get things going.
    Anonymous

• Continued from above...

Things you should NOT try!!!:

Black or Blue Cohosh- These are both VERY dangerous. They can cause excessive bleeding during delivery and Blue Cohosh has been linked to infant heart attack!!! Remember natural doesn't mean safe. Cohosh has it's place in this world but it's NOT in labor.

Castor Oil- This can cause dehydration which will cause contractions but it can also cause problems during labor. They will start an IV because of dehydration and labor could stop. It's a terrible way to go into labor. BUT the biggest concern is it can cause the baby to release meconium in the womb which can be extremely dangerous!

Fasting- Pretty much the same reasons as Castor Oil. It's not a good idea nor is it healthy.
    Anonymous

• I also wanted to add that Cumin tea is used by midwives in Latino communities when a women in over due or at risk of being induced due to medical reasons.

If NONE of these things work call your doctor and ask him or her to strip or sweep your membranes. This can help things along on their own. Anything you can do to avoid induction is in the best interest. Adding pitocin and cytotec on top of high blood pressure is very dangerous! And a c-section with high blood pressure increases your risk of hemmorage.
    Anonymous

• With my first boy, we tried the frequent sex idea - all it did was make me 1000 times more uncomfortable than I already was, and Jake didn't show up until 41 weeks anyway. Now I am 38 weeks with my second boy and because of blood pressure issues and borderline diabetes, my OB wants to strip my membranes on Monday. I don't know what it's like to be raped, but they did this to me at 41 weeks last time, and all I can say is that it was the single most painful moment of my life. I don't think I will let them do this to me a second time! I am just hoping that my boy comes on his own before 40 weeks. Good luck.
    jakesmom2233

Answer by jakesmom2233 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2009