Is 13 months too young to CIO?

My almost 13 month old was goin go sleep and staying in his crib all night for the last 6 months or so, beforf that he was sleeping in my bed for the second half of the night. Recently he ahs been refusing to go to sleep in his crib- I think it might be due to the time change, or teething, if he's teething i cant just let him cry, but I dont want him to think that if he cries he'll get to sleep inmy bed with me.
What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you think hes teething give him some tylenole and put baby orjel on his litlte gums and then put him to bed. let him cry it out hes big enough that you knw if something is wrong or not now. its not mean ot let him cry it out. of course go check on him every 15mins or so and try to calm him down then put him back.
    Anonymous

• What is CIO? If he is teething, try using the nighttime orajel it helps with the teething and helps with sleeping. It might be due to the time change, try putting him to bed at the time he would normally go to bed before the time change. So if he normally went to bed at like 8 put him to bed around 9 instead and slowly transition him into the time he should be in bed hope this helps
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• CIO is "Cry It Out". 13 months is not too young if you are comfortable with this method.
    nichvegas-mommy

Answer by nichvegas-mommy at 3:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• ANY age in too young too "CIO"
    Anonymous

• I personally don't like CIO, but 13 months is not too young. What you can try, when he cries go to him, pick him calm him down but then put him back in his crib. You may have todo this a couple times a night, but eventually he realize he is not getting in mommys bed.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 3:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If he is teething then I suggest giving him tylenol before bed. Then go through the routine like usual. If he starts crying and wants to come to bed with you let him cry for a few minutes and then go into him. Don't pick him up. Just rub his back and try to relax him. Then leave the room. If he wakes again let him cry for 10 min. and do the same thing. Each time he wakes up and cries extend the length of time it takes before you go to him. If he is teething the tylenol should be enough to relax him. Besides, even little ones need to be able to soothe themselves when they are not feeling 100% he cannot always depend on you to soothe him. IRemember self soothing is a neccessary thing. You are actually helping him by letting him cry a little.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Dont' listen to anyone to tell you that CIO is an unneccesary method I tried EVERYTHING before I had to do this. Each child is different - I even consulted my son's Ped about this because my son had extreme colic for 6 months and never learned to self sooth so he in turn, had sleep issues - anyway - any time after 6 months is ok to let them cry it out. And my Ped even recommended not to sooth him while he's teething because unless it gets really bad. He will normally put himself to bed while teething in 15 minutes of crying but when they are really close and are hurting him bad, I DO go in there and do his teething tablets and tylenol. But they do need to learn to self sooth and that means sometimes when they are hurting when you've done all you can do
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You're fine at 13 months. Just make sure the bedtime routine is consistent, and let him know your expectations, and then stick to your guns! Do what you can for the teething; if nothing else is wrong, then bedtime is bedtime, and that's where he sleeps!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Try the No Cry Sleep Solution book before CIO. 13 months is a little better then 3 or 6 months, but no time is appropriate for CIO IMO. If it is teething deal with the teething and then deal with the sleep issues.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2009