Do you have this?

does anyone have mitro valve prolapse, and if so, what does it do to you? What are your symptoms

itainteasy25

Asked by itainteasy25 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Health

• I do. (mitral valve)prolapse) I was diagnosed when I was in high school--I am now almost 30. I really have no symptoms and no side effects at all. The only thing I have to do is take antibiotics before I go to the dentist. That is it. I have a very active life and two kids and do not notice anything ever. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yes, I do. They found it when I was in High School. My pulse would increase for no reason..meaning I had a high rate at rest. I was put on meds in HS but after a few years, the cardio took me off. I am now 33 with no Sx. Every once in a while it will race but not to the point that it causes me to pass out (which is what happened when I was in HS). I have anxiety which is caused by the MVP (most ppl with MVP also have anxiety).
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I was just diagnosed a little over a year ago (at age of 27). Didn't know I had any heart issues at all until I was in labor w/ my 2nd son. I was at near heart attack range during delivery...anyway. I have MVP and MVP w/ regurgation. I don't notice anything and am not on any meds for it. My dentist doesn't even have me take an antibiotic before visiting him. He said most practices have discontinued that with latest research (then in another 5 years they'll probably make us take it again)!
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 3:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have it. Didn't even know I had it until my doctor was doing a complete work up due to family history. He wanted baseline readings.

They've discontinued the practice of antibiotics for dental work or deliveries now I've been told.

I have palpitations sometimes...but haven't had that in a while now.

(it will happen again tomorrow not that I said something. lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I was diagnosed with MVP w/ regurgitation when I was in elementary school. My last echo showed it was mild, but I still take antibiotics before dental appts and surgeries. My doctor feels that it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to premedicating, although most doctors do not require premedicating for mild murmurs anymore. (those with moderate to severe still typically take antibiotics). The only symptoms I've been having lately is when I work out. If I push myself too hard, I will skip beats.
    FloridianJenn

Answer by FloridianJenn at 1:42 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I was diagnosed with it in early elementary school. I was a gymnast at the time, and the only reason i think we discovered it was because I was so active at the time. It didn't really give me much problems except during competitions, I'd have to take short breaks to catch my breath a bit and at one point I was on meds for it (forgot the name it was so long ago)...It never slowed me down much though. I was required to take antibiotics before any dental apts or surgeries to lower risk of infection, however, still to this day I rarely have any troubles with it. My last EKG showed it was actually almost gone, as I dont know if that means I will ever "not" have it....but if I do, it's really mild and unnoticeable. The only thing I still get is faintness sometimes lately, but that's because I'm 34 weeks pregant and overly exhausted.
    JamiHartley

Answer by JamiHartley at 2:06 PM on May. 13, 2009