is this anxiety or what?

I have a weird issue with picking at the skin around me finger nails, i will have my fingers bleeding sometimes. i dont realize im doing it sometimes. And its harder to stop doing than smoking, lol. What is this?

itainteasy25

Asked by itainteasy25 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Health

• I wouldn't say anxiety...more like obsessive disorder. Hmmm...you might need to do osme googling or ask your dr. That's gotta hurt!
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 4:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Get on some paxil or something but do not take if preggo. OCD is what it sounds like where gloves! poor thing !!
    Anonymous

• Agreed with the obove posters. Often a sign of OCD is picking like this. Soujds painful hun! There are a lot of things that can be done. Go see the doc, they can even show you different things to do with your hands to "keep them employed" so to speak but take away from the picking of your skin (ouch!)
    I remember hearing something about knitting beung good for people with this type of problem... Good Luck!!!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 4:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Sounds more like OCD
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would talk to someone about this, i agree with everyone it sound like ocd. There are things that a doctor can do that may help. good luck
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 4:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It could be anxiety ,my son picks his fingers when he is anxious. He picks off layers of skin and it has gotten infected before. His fingers are usually sore from him picking his fingers. I tend to chew on my lips when I am anxious and make them sore and bloody. Talk to your doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It could be, but I doubt it. I suffer from anxiety as does quite a few members of my family, and this is not a common symptom. It sounds more like OCD, so I would talk to your doctor about it. There are medications you can take to help control the urge to do it, and there are probably training things you can do to train yourself not to, but your doctor will be able to tell you what to do better than we can on here. Good luck, it sounds horribly painful.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2009