Think he nailed it?

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first
take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

- Abraham Lincoln

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• blah blah blah......
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• PERFECT!

I thought you were a genius until I saw it was a quote from Lincoln. lol
    Anonymous

• AMEN!!
    Anonymous

• blah blah blah? Yeah cover the eyes and stick your fingers in your ears.I find it odd that Obama admires Abe so much yet ignores things like this and goes for big government.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• lather, rinse and repeat.....
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It takes some people a few go rounds and having the words changed up a bit before the GET IT!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You gotta love the well thought out responses to this one. Really.

Personal responsibility. . .it's the way things should be.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I totally agree with that. When people feel they can get more out of doing noting more will do nothing. It has to pay off to do more work. Otherwise everyone will just through up their hands and no one will be able to be taken care of.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Totally agree with that statement. Here's my other favorite by Mr. Lincoln: "The philosophy of the classroom of one generation is the philosophy of the Government of the next generation."

Truer words would be hard to find, especially with the way things are going right now.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thank you, soonmommy, for your valuable contribution to the discussion. Your insight is truly brilliant.

OP: Awesome Lincoln quote! Thanks for posting. Here's a couple of my favorite Winston Churchill tidbits:

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    Anonymous