Looking for a potty chair, any advice.

I'm taking my daughter's hints that she's interested in potty training.. so I am in search of a potty chair and I was wondering what worked for other moms, or didn't work.

Mom2vanna

Asked by Mom2vanna at 4:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We got a very simple Circo one from Target which was $10 as opposed to the $30 one with all the bells and whistles, but my daughter ended up liking the RING that fits on the big toilet better (also $10). So keep that in mind... some kids will have this preference. It's actually really nice because we don't have to dump anything it or clean it every day. It's also really nice because we take it to public toilets and she had no issues whatsoever going in those. She's young (19 months when we trained her) so we were going to be helping her with the whole process anyway (pulling down pants, etc) , so I guess that could be a consideration if you're hoping she will be able to do it independently.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Get one with a very stable base. The kind that have 4 thick legs are better than the kind that have a "tub" bottom. For lack of better words. I cant describe what I mean.

Hope you understand lol...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• ...and also one that plays music and has like little cartoons on it {you want to make it fun} My son loves to go potty because of that.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I purchased two very simple ones. One for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. They both have lids for her to lift up and put down and both have a step stool in them. One was from Target and the other from Walmart.

I went another route in getting her to hang out on the potty. What I did was get a box for each bathroom and put little toys just from a dollar store. She will sit like I said and will play, it keeps her occupied. I do have treats too, but that is when she goes. She has gone #1 and #2 once. I just posted about potty training on my homepage due to frustration I am feeling. We are going all the way now, with little girl underwear and no more pull ups. It's hard... but I KNOW it will get there.

That may have been more info you needed, but in regards to the potties do what you want. That is what I did and when I do get her on the potty she will sit on it and understands it. Good Luck!
    DMSOSA

Answer by DMSOSA at 5:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My daughter actually used the simple potty and played with the musical potty. We got one that is a step stool, potty, and potty seat in one. She was 2 yesterday, and we haven't had an accident in 3 days. We started about 2 months ago, and she's been doing pretty well with it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2009