OD on over the counter meds

I felt like such an idiot last night. I rarely give my dd meds. they usually expire before we use them but she has been coughing so bad. Last night I agve her claritin and cough syrup...then I realized claritin is only every 24hrs and my mom had told me just gave her that this morning (it was12hrs later when i gave it to her). I called poison control and he assured me she would be fine but it is a wonder I slept at all last night for all the times I checked on her. Has anyone else done this?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Health

• Oh hon, my DH overdosed our DD when she was little. He gave her a tablespoon of cold /cough med instead of a teaspoon, so I know how ya feel.. She did sleep very well that night tho. Lesson learned, he is very careful about the directions now.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No. I am a total control freak. If my son needs something even as minor as Tylenol (he is 2), I won't allow anyone to give it to him. My husband can do that but he won't. He is afraid he will mess up. He goes to daycare and they know to call me if he needs something like that. I keep a chart of dates and exact times just to be sure. He takes Zyrtec daily and I keep track of the exact time. I am just really paranoid about that kind of thing so I do not allow anyone other than my husband to give my son any form of medication. But I can imagine how freaked out you were! I am glad everything turned out well.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2009