What's the best baby formula?

My doctor sugested i start giving my baby formula in addition to breastmilk, becouse i don't produce enough milk. What formula should I start with?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its up to you, all babies respond different to different brands. My son used Similac Advanced, but my SIL's daughter couldn't drink that, so she used Enfimil, ask your doc which brand he recommends
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Well, just so you're aware, there are some lactivists here who are about to jump all over you for even considering what your doctor wants you to do.

The best one is one which the baby will take. Mine were all raised on Enfamil. I can't say anything about any other brands because we never used any other. (it's what WIC provided)
    Anonymous

• its up to you.. during my breastfeeding campaign lol i only got to do it for about 4-5 months.. started supplimenting with formula around then, and we started with soy because our son has a milk protein allergy. During my days in breastfeeding, I stopped all dairy consumption because it caused an issue with him.. he's 8 months old, still on the soy formula,and he knows when we switch... i've trying giving him milk based, and he didnt like it, he drinks formula, and water, nothing else.. you can go to a few of the formula companies websites and see about samples.. and go from there.. or ask your doctor and see if they have some sample cans.. when our son was born we got a few cans of formula.. im glad I hung onto them... they were of good use at month 4
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 4:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yup Im one of those craaaaazy lactivists who would love to help another mama keep nursing if she could :~)

I recommend drinking 3-5 cups of Mother's Milk Tea (found at your local grocer or natural foods store), around 9 fenugreek tablets daily, lots of water and oatmeal!

If that doesn't work, Reglan is supposed to be great. I took Domperidon and that REALLY helped my low supply issues. Yes, Ive been there. I know how frustrating it is! If you want to give formula, that's fine, but if you don't, there ARE other options! PM me if you need some support :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I am also supplementing b/c of low supply and YES it's low. not a growth spurt. this is after taking every supplement possible so now that that's out of the way. I have used similac advance and my DD seems to take it fine. However, she will only take what is premixed in the plastic bottles. I guess a little more expensive but I tasted both the bottles and the can and the can tasted like chemicals. She wouldn't take that. good luck to ya.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would suggest checking with someone else(like a leader from your local LLL) before you start supplementing. They can give you some tips on how to boost your supply.
    Good luck!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 6:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I used enfamil lipil w/o any problems. My doc actually recommended different types for different problems. we started on enfacare since dd was tiny and had weight gain issues. Since we were already on enfamil, we stuck with it. Best way is to try one with iron and see how baby responses. give it a few weeks b/c the initial change can affect baby and it may take time toa djsut. Or it might be that the particular formula doesn't agree with baby.
    Anonymous

• I think you should start with Similac.. Enfamil will get them constipated. Thats what happen to my son and he could never make BMs as soon as we changed to Similac he started make good BMs.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• epoch, craaaaazy lactivists or not, at least you offered good advice and didn't jump all over this mom for asking advice, telling her how lazy she is and that she didn't love her baby because she even considered formula like I have seen on other posts in this forum. KUDOS TO YOU :)

Anyway, My first DD got only enfimil, my second DD got mostly enfimil. She had an allergy to cow protein, so we had to give her the expensive kind (costs like $25 for a 14oz can.) and our son has gotten a variety. He gets kirkland if we make it to Costco and Mom-to-Mom if we don't. And when we were qualified for WIC, he would get similac. He did fine on all.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009