Beer and Breastfeeding

I remembered when I was nursing my first (also on St. Patrick's Day) I had a beer and my milk flow was out of control. I didn't know it at the time, but was later told that it was the yeast in the beer.

Well, I'm once again nursing and I was talking to someone about the beer boosting my milk supply last time, but every single bit of research I did on this today came back saying it was a myth!

When it first happened for me, I knew nothing of the association...truth or myth...I just knew that it worked. Has anyone else noticed an increased milk supply after a beer? Am I nuts? lol...I swear this one isn't a myth! lol

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have also heard that it is a myth, but it worked for me. When I first started bf'ing, I had some issues relaxing enough to have let down, so my midwife said to have a beer and boy did it help!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Alcohol and breastfeeding don't mix! Are you pumping and dumping?
    Anonymous

• IT IS A MYTH
    Anonymous

• when I was nursing my son my ex MIL told me that the Dr told her a beer a day to help milk come in. I have heard it was a myth, I have heard it was true. I will tell you this. I had a hard time nursing him at first b/c he was SO big (9 1/2 lbs at birth) and So hungry. After I tried the beer trick, I had a dramatic increase in my milk supply!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 4:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• my doc actually told me to drink a glass of beer before bed to incress my milk supply, so i say it's true
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I've never heard this ,very interesting.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The yeast is supposed to help with milk supply, but something about the alcohol supresses milk supply so it is actually a myth.
    Anonymous

• I don't drink alcohol but I had a dark O'douls b/c my milk supply was low and it helped a lot! Ive been told its the dark beer....i wouldn't drink real beer while BFing....
    Anonymous

• The need for pumping and dumping is also a myth.

I've also heard that the yeast in the beer is a myth but on the rare occasion I do have a beer, my let down is always more forceful.

heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 6:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Myth or not it worked for me. I had a Dr tell me to do it.

ANON 1:50 - Yes drinking a bunch of beer and breastfeeding is a bad idea, but we are talking about 1 beer, not a 6 pack. It is safe.

heatherama - pumping and dumping is not a myth. Any substance that can cross the milk supply will contaminate the milk as long as that substance is in your system. Example: If you were doing meth you would have to pump and dump for a minimum of 72 hours before the toxins have left your system. Any new milk you produce during that time is also contaminated. FYI
    Anonymous