Two year old son is not talking much and his speech therapist is worried.....

She isnt actually a speech therapist because that lady cant come in untill he has a bigger vocabulary but this one lady that has been seeing my son two to three times a month is a some type of motivations person. She has been coming since my son was about 20 months and hes now 27 months. My son only has a vocabulary of 5 words and thats it. Hes the smartest child in the world but communicates by showing me or pointing or even shaking his head yes or no to things. I ask him to go get something and he gets it, hes just not talking yet. We have already taken him in to get his hearing checked and its very good so thats not the problem. I tried telling this lady that Im not that worried about it and that he will talk when hes ready but she insist that hes way behind. I nerrorate everything for my son and ask him to say things befor giving in to him but I dont believe in holding food or anything like that. I'm starting to feel like

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 5:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Um...My son started seeing a speech therapist before he turned two and he had a vocabulary of ZERO words. By the end of the month, he said his first word. Now, almost 6 months later, he is communicating in short sentences with a much larger vocabulary and he is now age appropriate for vocabulary and word usage...but still delayed in articulation. He received speech only once a week for the first three months, and two times a week for the last three.

He's not going to start talking if he doesn't have to. A speech therapist (a good one) will push just far enough....and know when to stop. I love our, and I hope you get one soon. I firmly believe in giving a child help instead of leaving them behind to catch up on their own when the help is available.

But that's what works for me and my boys.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Im a bad mom or something. This lady acts like my son in the only kid she sees that is this behind. In my opinion every child is different and learns at there owne pace but she seems to think different. Is there any moms that have advice for me or what I can do differently?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 5:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Nah, my sister didn't talk until she was 3 and now she chatters all the time.

My suggestion is to spend extra time reading to him. Read and then go back to the beginning and say what animal is this? What does a cow say? What color is this? And so forth. Praising of course. Reading is so valuable, and it also gives you and your son some very nice together time.

Answer by Bmat at 5:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Go with your gut! I wouldn't be concerned for another few months. My nephew didn't say a single word until about 20 months and then only a few words until he was 30 months. At that point, it is like a switch got flicked and he wouldn't stop talking. I think you are in the right, stand your ground. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think people push and push to make things and issue before there is one. He knows he really doesn't have to speak to you verbally right now because you know exactly what he's saying. My friends Ped recommended tough love in the way you said you didn't want to hold items or food from them - He can say 5 words so he CAN speak. some kids just take longer in that area.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I dont believe in tough love, and I certainly would never ever hold any food or drink from my child but if its like a truck or a ball that he wants and cant reach then I will act like I dont know what he wants untill he atleast trys to say the word. You are right though, he doesnt feel the need to talk much cause momma knows everything he wants but Im working on that. Thanks every one for the advice.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 5:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't be worried because not all children are the same so he'll talk when he's ready to but I didn't talk for awhile either then my mom found out I couldn't because the tissue under my tongue was attached to the bottom of my mouth so yeah I had to get it clipped and went to speech therapy til I was 6. I still have a slight lisp but you can hardly tell. Good luck!
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Your child sounds EXACTLY like my little girl. She is now 28 months and says maybe 5-10 words. I get from people all the time that there is something wrong with her, but i do my best not to worry because just like your son, she points, shakes her head no and like yours, has good hearing. You are not the only one....but our doctor said that my DD has what is called an expressive speech delay, just meaning that she WON'T speak as opposed to CAN'T...that she is stubborn essentially. But stick with your gut, until an actual doc says worry, don't, that is how i get through people like that...but good luck...
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 6:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My oldest did the same thing. He just pointed to everything and then one day out of no where he just started to pick up on the whole talking thing. And that was a little after he turned 3 and then a little after that we did the potty training thing and no he never stops talking....lol so don't worry until at least 3
    pswife

Answer by pswife at 8:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2009