• In the Spotlight:

What do you think about this? Proposed private pay for vets' care.

American Legion angry over proposed private pay for vets' care
I find this to be very disturbing.

The leader of the nation's largest veterans organization says he is "deeply disappointed and concerned" after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

http://www.chipleypaper.com/news/legion_3164___article.html/veterans_insurance.html

MaryJane849

Asked by MaryJane849 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a little torn on this issue. On the one hand, I want our Veterans to receive the best care available and for the best price available to them. On the other hand I don't see why insurance claims shouldn't also be filed for Vets who also have private healthcare plans.

Wouldn't it work like primary and secondary insurance where claims would be filed with the Dept of VA as well as the patient's private insurance?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My concern would be most private pay insurance is not going to want to pay for service related illness or injury - it falls under the banner of pre-existing. If the VA is going to insist on a pissing match between them and the private pays, the only thing it will accomplish is delaying treatment for those who need it. Combine that with how crappy VA care is to begin with, it's a death warrant - delay treatment for 6 months and then finally relent to doing the least possible treatment. In the meantime, those who are seriously ill and require emergency treatment get bogged down in unpaid bills. The bill collectors don't care if the insurance and VA are busy fighting over payment, they just want a check from somebody.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I am worried that insurance companies will refuse to insure veterans. It would be in their best interest to do so.

What would happen if they did away with the VA and private insurers refused to cover them?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Is this what this country has come to?

Yes, VA hospitals in general have always left much to be desired, but this is just pathetic.........

Obummer just wants people to stop joining the service, period.......

What a loser.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• "I am worried that insurance companies will refuse to insure veterans. It would be in their best interest to do so.
    What would happen if they did away with the VA and private insurers refused to cover them?"

Nothing.
    It's my understanding that this will only apply to those who have private insurance and even then it will act on a primary/secondary insurance setup. I had primary and secondary insurance when I was pregnant with my first. Certain visits or procedures were billed to my primary insurance first and before my secondary insurance was billed. In all cases I ended up with a lower copay.
    I'm not saying that this will necessarily be the case here, I have no idea, just sharing my experience with the 2 part insurance model, or whatever you want to call it.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 6:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• This is plain out anti-American!!! 1st, uhmmm, HELLO, what insurance co. covers pre-exising conditions, not many, 2nd, We OWE these men and women, BIG TIME, for serving our country for all of us!! ! And for the gov't to expect a private ins. co. to pay them back for previous care, oh yeah, like that will happen. We cannot punish our military for doing their job and getting injured while defending our country, this is insane to even suggest!!!

Every day their money schemes just continue to get worse... :(

God bless our soldiers, God forbid this ridiculous proposal be enacted, to abandon even one of our soldiers is pure treachery!!!

Anonymous

• I have to agree, our soldiers risked their lives for our country, and some of them have suffered incredible atrocities doing so. This gov. has it's priorities wrong, worried about marsh mice and pig stink, but let's not continue coverage for the vets.

If they choose to carry secondary insurance, it should be just that. Secondary. I understand we need to balance the budget, not this way. Let the marsh mice suffer, not our soldiers.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• As one who has worked billing insurance for hospitals for many years I can say this will be a mess. There is no way that private insurance will pay for service related injuries and it will complicate and draw out the billing process. The private company and the VA will argue over what should be covered by whom and meanwhile the patient will receive statements from the provider because the provider wants their payment from someone, and no one is paying. The patients will become upset because they are getting a bill, or they will just pay it (if they can afford to) because most people don't understand the medical billing process. They will be paying a bill that they may not owe. It's just going to be a great big mess. The government should be paying for the service related stuff and if there is private insurance, it can be used for other services.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• To demand that private companies cover service related injuries will just drive healthcare costs higher. Besides, what happened to universal healthcare? If everyone's going to be covered by the gov't then this is kind of silly...right?

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• these vets SHOULD and have EARNED the right to have free health care for life. they have given heart mind and soul to fight in wars and it is disgusting that ANY president would even consider making it's military active and retired pay for health care..the healthcare has been covered for years..why change it now?
    Anonymous