• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my 17month old to bed before midnight?

I have a 17 month old little boy who does not sleep. He has never really taken a nap, even when he was born everyone always commented on how awake he was. He will stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning (which I don't mind bc I like to stay up that late) but he wakes up at 8 in the morning. I took a baby massage class when he was just a few months old and the massage therapist told me that he has a message that he needs to get out and he'll sleep when he gets tired...which is usually around 6pm and only for a few hours. I try to keep him awake but it is hard to deal with a tired baby when I am so sleepy myself. Any suggestions on whays to change his sleep patterns would be great!

OBImomma

Asked by OBImomma at 5:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont let him go to sleep at 6. i have to do the same thing with my 2 year old. it sucks to have to deal with a tired baby.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Try chaning around his diet. Maybe there's too much sugar or citris or something in his diet?
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 5:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Have you thought about having him get tested at a sleep clinic? sounds like the schedule works for you so maybe that is what he thinks is normal?? my son was never a sleeper either - began because his colic was so severe for so many months - he never learned how to self sooth and at 8 months my ped said if I didn't do something now ( cause he didn't sleep for 3 days ) that it would only worsen and he could have developmental delays -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• just remember you are in charge. even if he gets upset, it is your responsibility to make him get set on something. this is good for later development
    Anonymous

• Yikes. It really sounds like he needs a routine. I would try to move away from the "he'll sleep when he's tired" approach and get him on a schedule. He can entertain himself if he's not tired when you put him down, but he needs down time. I would shoot for 8, maybe 9 for bedtime. You may have to do it gradually. Make sure there's a fixed bedtime and naptime routine so he can wind down.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• He needs a routine badly. And at 17 months he should be taking 1 nap everyday too. for at least an hour. My son has had the same nap and bedtime routine since he was a year old, and it works very well. we first taught him that "night night" means it's time to sleep, so when he hears us say it's night night time... he knows what's coming. then the routine we use is he gets a cup of milk 30 minutes before bed to fill his tummy and help him stay asleep longer. if he's hungry he will wake up early. then we brush his teeth and put him in his PJ's. When his Pj's are on we do a round of hugs and kisses from mommy and daddy, and he can kiss his baby sissy if he wants to. then we tell him it's night night time, and he usually walks to bed himself. we tuck him in, put the lights out, and he's asleep in about 5 minutes.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 10:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thanks, But he has a routine, He did wonderfully until the time changed. He does take a nap everyday at 1 for about 3 hours. He also goes to bed earlier when my husband is home from work and is off the next day. I have already asked a dr and a massage therapist and they both say the same thing..."he'll sleep when he's ready". I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas that would help...like the no citrus before bed (i have never heard that before)...
    Anonymous