What are some of the challenges you have or are working through in your marriage?

And please don't answer with, me nothing, it's perfect and we've always had this he never lies, cheats, or we are the ideal perfect marriage kind of thing. I want to hear true heart felt honest challenges that you deal with in your marriages and how you handle them. Every marriage has challenges and I'm curious what yours are and how you conquer them.

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• And don't say we never had an argument either!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Having DH not work for a year. it's awful. He's over 60 and the job market here is terrible. We lost everything we had due to financial situations. He's not picked up the slack at home either...but he is a really nice guy. I don't think he's doing all that he could do...if it was me I'd go work at McD's. It's frustrating and I just grit my teeth and keep putting one foot in front of the other.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 5:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Having more family time. My DH use to come home and straight to is PS3 and just sits there and plays. I told him all I am asking is come home hang out for like 30mins. Play with your son then have your alone time. I understand he works hard and needs to relax but why can't he take 30mins from his ps3 and play with his son or watch him play. Yes he spends all weekend with him but thats not enough. So he has been trying and realized playing with his son has helped him go from annoying work to relaxed daddy. So now he makes sure he gets time with his son and does it cuz he enjoys it not cuz he is being asked.
    Anonymous

• Here are ours:
    1. His children, they mostly live out of town so when they are present he treats them different than the rest of the children.
    2. If you get angry with him, you aren't allowed to tell him. If you do, he will curse you out.
    3. I have a super short temper.
    Anonymous

• our issue is that hes lazy. he was raised in a home that was completely different from mine. I was raised to clean up after myself and to not have clutter everywhere. my mom wasnt a clean freak or anything, it was just the clutter. he was raised in a home where they never throw away anything. they see no problem with having a years worth of mail on their kitchen table that they cant even eat at. He doesnt think he has to clean up after himself right away, he thinks if he does it within a day or two then thats a good thing. it pisses me off bc i feel like he thinks im his slave sometimes. Hes just lazy and thats our main issue. I know it doesnt seem like anything huge but it does put a strain on us and its frustrating. but im slowly training him lol. i just have 27 years of his bad habits that i need to break!! lol
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 5:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Me feeling unappreciated and me having to handle his financial irresponsibility. Him dealing with his insecurity and his trust issues.
    Anonymous

• Communication, communication, communication! We used to just assume the other person didnt care about what we were going through. This led to a lot of strife for a good 4 year period. We were horrible about not considering the other persons feelings, and did very little to validate each other as husband and wife. We came very close to not making it. (he actually moved out 2 days after my last chemo it was so bad) We finally sat down to discuss divorce and realized it is not what we want. So with God's help (sorry if that offends anyone but thats what works for us) we learned (and are still learning) how to take a step back and put ourselves in each others place. We went through a great class called the "I" marriage that teaches you to put your spouse before yourself. This only works if you both do it. Its a great way to really focus on healing and repairing broken marriages. Worked for us! hes home and we are better than b4
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 7:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My husband and I were raised totally different. At his house dogs were allowed on the couch and bed, in mine that was disgusting! He did dishes whenever he felt like it, mine needed to be done when you were done! So, it's hard to figure out who's rules stay and who's goes. Another thing, he puts his friends first. Which I hate more that anything! Are main problem is that are communication skills suck!!! When wouldn't have these problems if we were to talk it out but, we're both stubborn!!! So it's useless!
    Anonymous

• We are going thru a lot right now which is leading to divorce. I havent told him yet but as soon as I find a place, I'm taking the kids and leaving. He treats me like I'm useless and treats my kids like shit. I won't take it anymore.
    Anonymous

• Our issue right now is he cheated on me, because of the lack of trust I have with him now we fight a lot more, I have to talk about how Im feeling sometimes and when I do like this last Sunday I told him I didnt trust him with his friend because his friend is single and doesnt seem to give a rats ass about my feelings; he got mad and said my friends will always have my back before they have yours... well no shit!! thats my point
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009