Finally, a Black Disney Princess!! I'm so excited!! :-)

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/princessandthefrog/

The Princess and the Frog

I must say that it feels good to know that my future daughters have a Disney Princess who she can relate to and say "Hey that Princess looks like me!"
Don't get me wrong I LOVE all the other ones too. I'm just happy I guess. Yay!

What do you think of the new Disney Princess?

LadyChamp

Asked by LadyChamp at 5:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Entertainment

• Yay! I actually saw ads for that movie a long time ago...not sure what movie it is on that my daughter watches, but its a preview on one of them...lol. I didn't even think about her being black, but she is and that is great. I have had black foster kids and I hadn't realized how important it is to see someone that looks like you until I was working with young children of a different race. It might not be important for me to see someone that "looks like me" on TV anymore, but to kids it is really important.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I hadnt heard of this yet, but yeah it is pretty cool!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• who cares what color they are
    Anonymous

• Some parents that I know and myself included care, Anon.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 5:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I am white as cotton,but I have always thought they should have other races,for kids to relate to,if all you see is white dolls,then kids will eventually think,because they are not white they don't fit in.My kids always had other race dolls,I always made sure they knew we were all equal.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yes, that's very cool. I just realized that Disney has every other but a black princess. That's pretty sad seeing as Disney was around when our parents were little! Huh, makes you think. Oh yeah, anon 5:44 answer to your question of who cares. Me and lady champ do. If you don't care, then just don't post, it's that simple.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• That's really cool of you Val and Steff! I have no clue why I'm so excited.
    I will be buying the heck out the dolls ok!? LOL!!

And Val, you are right that about kids needing to see role models/dolls of other races. I had that identity crisis when I was younger, and it's nice to know that others recognize that.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 5:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'm still waiting for a hot blooded Italian princess!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Ooooo I like that. Italian princess, I wonder what story line they would use? What do you think?
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 6:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• ooo steff i cant wait for a hot blooded italian princess either lol!! then she'd be just like me :)
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 6:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2009