How would you feel if your husband

became a "work-o-holic"? I mean the responsibilities of his project falls on several different guys at his work, but he chooses to bear the load because no one else does as good a job as he does...is it fair to be irritated an annoyed with him and ignore him too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• I have this same problem.. My hubby gets paid chicken scratch but works harder and more ethical than anyone else there. But it is hard toget mad when he has good work habbits cause he is right hopefully some one will notice in the end. And it is good for our kids to see it, but I wish he would at least demand more freaking money!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If he all of a sudden said he is working a lot. Coming home late..I would be suspicious he was doing more then just working. That's how I would feel.

Answer by louise2 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If the working is going into the weekends and you and your kids never get to spend time with him then yes I would be annoyed and say something. But if its only during the week then no its his time to work. I don't think you should ignore him,thats not solving anything. Try talking to him and figure out something that both of you can agree on. Like 30 mins a day only family time no work...be home for dinner and stop thinking about work after 7 or 8pm or whenever hour to 30mins is before dinner or the kids go to bed.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think it is totally fair for you to want your husband home with you and your kids.. but NOT fair to ignore him or hold good work ethic against him. Try talking openly to him.. if he is working late for the right reasons (to make extra money you guys need, to secure his job if there is danger of layoffs, or to prevent trouble in his office) then I think you should cut him some slack. It is hard having your hubby gone a lot but if it benefits your family, he will appreciate your support. If there is no way around him working late do cute things with the kids to make him feel appreciated.. like make "thanks daddy for working so hard for our family" cards. Do extra to support him, this probably isn't a permanent thing.. but if you ignore him and pitch fits.. its not going to entice him to come home any earlier.. he may stay later just to avoid tension at home. Just my suggestion. Hope it helps. God Bless

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 7:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My husband is a workaholic also, but that is also how we got to where we are today. He does make up for it though, when it is family time he tells clients it is family time I will call you back and when it is date night we answer the phone for no one but the babysitter if she happens to call. There is give and take there and a lot of time I give more but he has provided well for his family so I cut him some slack!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would feel neglected. Well, actually my husband is also a workaholic. It is such a pain. I want more attention, love and devotion, but all that is important is his work. (He runs his own business).
    After all I would not have married him in the first place if he did not give me enough attention! I do not have the guts to leave him, but sometimes feel that marriages are not supposed to last for ever, because any woman needs lots of love and attention and men generally cannot give it to us after the 'being in love' is gone.
    Roxy222

Answer by Roxy222 at 3:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2009