Airplane travel with 10month old, advice? i have alot of questions.

In may we will b traveling to iowa to see family for 8days, they havent seen my daughter since she was 2weeks old, she will b almost 11months by the time we get there, there will b alot of family there to great us when we arrive,how do i help/avoid the stranger shock? they have babies(family in Iowa), so they say dont bring carseat good idea? should she sleep in a pack n play or what should i bring? they r 2hrs ahead of our time zone, should i keep her on her local time zone when we visit? she is never around other babies, but will b when there what do i expect? im a germ freak with her, and im paranoid about the germs on a plane and what i should/am aloud to pack for her while on the plane? its a 6hr flight and a 2hr layover what should/could i do to keep my busy little one happy that long? its my first time meeting alot of my fiances family, and flying period. any advice?

sincerly a desperate mom.

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 5:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Travel

• I have taken my dd on a plane a few times... no problem. Most airline the carseat is an "exempt item" for check in, meaning you can take it and check it in and it is not against bag limitations so you shouldn't get charged for it. (at least it is this way with Continental) also you can gate check a stroller making that easy on you as well... just drop it off at the gate and they will bring it to you when you are getting off the plane :)
    Brink snacks, some of her favorite toys, a blanket, and juice or water or something for her to drink.
    If you have more questions I would be happy to help!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 5:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• pack lots of thing in a little bag i did when my 6 month old on plane and my bags got loss. they will give u water on the plane and it bottled. hold her ur lap is best at the age too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have travelled back and forth between Canada and England loads of times when my kids were babies.

Don't keep her on your time zone.  She needs to adjust to the new one and then back again.  Bring your own food for her and I suggest you call the airline about what you are allowed to bring on the plane.  They have tightened up security a lot since I was flying with little ones due to terrorist attacks.

BTW I also suggest you call the airline and book a crib.  Most airlines have special baby cribs that attach to the bulkhead in the front row of seats.  Or at least they used to.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2009