What is the right age to start potty training Boys?

I have 21 month old twin boys. When should I start to Potty Train them?

Doubleaamom

Asked by Doubleaamom at 5:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends on them.

My oldest decided on his own at 3 years (almost to the day) that he wanted to use the potty and wear underwear. We had been sort of working with him since before he was two.

My second..well, we had to go a bit more hard core with him. He had no interest before he turned three, so we took it upon ourselves to force the issue. We put him in underwear and had him try every hour or so. We ended up giving one sticker for peeing and two for pooping...provided he was clean and dry to begin with. Worked like a charm for him! lol

The third one is just over 2 years. No interest whatsoever. I think we'll do the "hard core" thing with him when he turns three, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You can start now. You can wait until they are ready. There is no "best" age.

The more "readiness signs" they show, the quicker and easier training will go. Kids will learn when they are ready, no matter what age you start at. So, if yours won't be ready until 30 months (that's just a guess), then you can start now and train for the next 9 months. Or you can wait until they are ready and train for a month or so. Your choice. Both have merit - one takes more work, one uses more diapers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Start now. It always good to start early. Just be patient its gets tough sometimes.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think that age is really good, actually. I trained my daughter at about 20 months and it's been so good. At that age they aim to please and usually aren't super defiant yet. Also IMO it's a lot more about you being ready and committed to the process; for us what worked was to be consistent and not to backpedal (we went straight to underwear). If they're over 18 months and you aren't anticipating any major changes soon, it's as good a time as any.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2009