When you hear someone say that they are from the "South", what is the first thing you think?

Just curious. If I tell you that I am from Alabama, what do you automatically think about me? Be honest.

ratchetlee

Asked by ratchetlee at 6:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Thank you for the honest answers. The reason I asked this question - is because I mostly hear the negative stereotypes about being from the south. There are a lot of misconceptions and a lot of truths. That is why I want to know about your initial thought. So even if your initial reaction is neg - that's fine. It doesn't mean it's TRUE, but it's fine. Be anon if you want :-)
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 8:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think of better manners, but then again, i live in southwest ga. I do get that negative connotation from people from other parts of the country when they here i live in south ga.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 6:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• im from alabama too so when i hear of the south i think of fried foods, hunting, i could go on., where in alabama do you live? i lived in the fairhope/daphne area. i had to move so i miss it really bad
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think more polite, simple life, and those girls gone wild videos. lol I always think of those being done on New Orleans during Mardigras, I know you said Alabama, but I think south and thats what pops in my head
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Im originally from Southern CA so when I was there I didnt really think much of it, I thought "Texas" LOL. Now I live in NC and have a whole new view on things, both good and bad.

Answer by gemgem at 6:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Honestly, I wouldn't really think anything of it. I'm from California and I moved to Minnesota four years ago. I know what it's like to be in a state where people can treat you like an outsider, so I try to be pretty welcoming to others. I am a firm believer of everywhere you go there you are! People are people. But I will say it's neat to learn how life is in the different parts of the country!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think of collard greens
    Anonymous

• friendly! i am in alabama too and originally from louisiana
    twarmymm

Answer by twarmymm at 6:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think of old women who are sweet to your face, but will gossip about you behind your back. I know that's not the case all the time, but that's what most movies show. lol But, that doesn't mean that I think YOU are guilty of it if you tell me you're from the south.
    Anonymous

• I think of southern hospitality, manners, comfort food, warmer days (I'm in Washington). Country, fresh air. I'm originally from Texas, born and raised, and no matter where we have lived with the military, I still miss Texas!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009