• In the Spotlight:

Co-sleeping question

I'm getting a lot of unwelcome negativity about co sleeping with my son, he's almost 7 mos old and it works well for us, we both go right back to sleep after a middle of the night feeding, and he seems to wake less often. Just wondering if anyone else out there has any suggestions about when I should make the transition back to his crib (thought I'd do it when he could sleep through the night)and is it really hard to get them to sleep on their own after having him in my bed??

wadesmum

Asked by wadesmum at 6:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm curious as to what an infant can possibly do with sleeping independence????? So many people do things to their kids for the sake of "independence". What is independence going to do for a baby? Nothing. Becoming independent is gradual and not to be forced with things like sleeping alone. A baby's main need is loving comfort. The best place for this at night is sleeping with mommy. So if baby wants to, let him.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My daughter moved to her own bed right after her first birthday.
    I knew she was ready because she would toss and turn as if she was unable to get comfortable. After a few nights like that I got up and tried putting her in her own bed.
    She slept right through the night and was in her bed up until the arrival of her little brother.
    Now she's back in our room but she sleeps on a twin bed next to ours.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 6:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i co slept with my daughter and still do sometimes. i will put her to bed in her bed but if and when she wakes up i bring her in bed with me and she doesnt have a problem sleeping. i think its up to you personally. she is 7.5 months old and has slept through the night since she was 5 weeks, we co-slept until then. but now its more like when or if she gets up.
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You will get unwelcome negativity. but who cares! I co-sleep with my 6 1/2 month old DD and absolutely love it. I would hate to walk down the hall every time she woke up. She has been sleeping pretty well through the nite since 3 months. Yes she does wake up a couple times to eat but b/c she's right there she eats then pretty much stays asleep. In all honesty, the longer you wait the harder it will be to make the transition but I am planning on one year and/or when I am done BFing. I don't care what people think about it. My family doesn't agree with it but theyre not the ones getting up with her are they?:) Anyway, I guess it will be a little difficult but when the transition time comes, we will be ready!! Good luck and do what is best for YOU and YOUR BABY:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My kids transitioned at different stages. My youngest is 20months and sleeps in his bed next to mine. His older brother wouldn't transition out until he was3. Some families sleep in a family bed, which is where all sleep in the same bed as the norm. there has actually been studies that babies sleep sounder and wake less often when sleeping with the mother. And the mother instinctually protects the baby in her sleep from other bodies in the bed (dad or sibling). I believe it is good for the baby to have the closeness of co-sleeping. Tell all those negative people to shove it. lol. It is your family, your morals, your sleeping arrangment. If they don't like it they should keep it to themselves. I say make the transition when both you and your son are ready for it. when my baby started sleeping in his own bed I thought he was too quiet. I was getting up top check if he was breathing. I barely got any sleep. lol.
    Anonymous

• we didnt do cosleeping. My hubby could never put up with it and it was way to dangerous. My hubby is crazy in his sleep, he flips, he rolls, he does flips in the air to roll over, not kidding either. my other boys do it too! So I wouldnt because i didnt want my hubby to roll on the baby on accident. I know people who have and i know ppeople who do not. I know why they say not to and i know why people like to (convenience, and cuddling is nice, and feedings in the middle of the night ect) but i just never could.
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 6:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I only consider people's negativity if it's logical. Saying you should have a baby out of your bed while it's still "easy" isn't logical. Cause forcing a baby to sleep alone has ZERO benefit to the BABY. I sleep with my 17 month old. Big whoop. She's safe, happy, and fed right away cause my breasts are right there...... What's so bad about it that people need to express such negativity?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thanks everybody, I guess my family is all old school, if I hear "just let him cry" one more time I might flip out! On a side note, this morning he found my boob before I woke up, unfortunately he didn't find the actual nipple and I'm sporting a big giant hickey on top of my breast! Luckily my husband believes me. Thanks for the support
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 6:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i believe that it is your choice but i sure wouldnt do it cuz it is hard to get them out later............but there are alot of ppl out there who choose to and i feel that whatever works for you is what is best........and you are the one that has to deal with it...........i can totally see the benefits if getting up several times in the nite to nurse but other than that i dont see the purpose in it............they need to learn to self soothe.................
    Anonymous

• You really need to do is soon.. the longer you wait, the harder it is. Here is the deal, do it for him. Yes, I said do it for him. You got to know the kid is not comfortable as are you. When you sleep you need your space.. your body needs to relax. Think of it this way.
    Anonymous