What are you going to do for your children that your parents didnt do for you?

I dont mean things that they COULDNT do, i mean things that they DIDNT do. Abuse doesnt count (I was abused and that wont be happening ofcourse). My mother never taught me to brush my teeth. She never took me to the dentist. Now i have 2 missing adult teeth, 1 crown, something like 15 fillings and one of my wisdoms is painfully crooked. So i'll be taking my babies to the dentist and teaching that brushing your teeth is fun! She wouldnt buy healthy food or let me play outside which led to me being an overweight teen. Not doing that! I cant think of anything else at the moment. I'd like to see what all of you have to say ;)

*"Anon" because my mother gets on here and i dont want MORE trouble*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Take my daughter's emotions and ethics into consideration. My mom just patted herself on the back for keeping us alive. I too had a lot of health and dental problems catch up with me in adulthood.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I pay attention to his views and feelings.
    My parents never helped me with my homework. I make it a priority to work with him.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 6:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Educate them about the do's and don'ts of sex, allow them to learn from them mistakes and remember that I was once their age!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Tell my son that I love him, I tell him I love him all the time. My parents never did. I take his feelings into consideration. I don't sweat the small stuff, I pick my battles. I am open and honest with him and talk about sex, his body and answer whatever questions that he has. i made him my top priority, not going to the bars.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• teach him what i can about life and be independent . My parents were great but they never tought me lessons on life. I always got what I wanted and that screwed me over in adulthood. I have a horrible work ethnic and its cuz I never was tought that to get what you want you have to work hard for it. I am not going to make my son work at 16 unless he wants to but if he wants a $100 pair of shoes then he has to earn some of it some how like helping around the house. If he wants a car he better learn to take care of it like going with his dad to get something fixed or help his dad change the oil and learn how to check the oil. I am a women yes but it doesnt mean these are not life lessons that I should know so I don't get screwed over or can do myself and not have to rely on a guy like I do now. My SO is teaching me as much as he can so I can be more independent but it makes me mad that my parents didnt do these things earlier
    Anonymous

• One thing is to teach my kids to cook and bake, not just prepackaged stuff, but from scratch. Also how to shop carefully, to be a bargin hunter. We are also more involved in church than my family was. I thnk their spiritual side needs to be nurtured as well as their physical and emotional.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Other than the abuse, I sincerely feel my mom did the best she could for the times. I'm a mid-60's baby. They didn't know about early intervention for things. They didn't know that it was okay to be a leftie (I was in school when they were still forcing everyone to be "right") They didn't know about sensory issues, autism was barely known, Asperger's completely unknown.

Things have changed a LOT since I was a kid. Now we know to cook and eat healthy. Now we know exercise is a necessity. Now we know that things can be wrong with kids other than them just being stubborn or "difficult" and there are things other than beating them into submission as treatments.
    Anonymous

• Have a savings account to help them out with money for college.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• mom never gave me the sex talk. She had some picture book about where babies come from which was rated very "G" so no words like "sex" involved in it. my dad tried once when I was a teen, telling me to always use a condom. At least he tried and it was more than what mom did.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2009