would like to have a religion, but dont know how?!?

Im a 19yr old mother, had my daughter at 18, pregnant at 17, i grew up in a family who used religion as a bad thing twards eachother...such as ur grandma isnt a real christian she just goes for the cookies...we cant talk to him because hes gay...shes a tramp because she isnt married...god isnt real, there is no proof and churches r bad...although when i was little i went to churches, but i think i just went so my mom could have a break, as i grew up i started to resent the idea of any religion, but now that i moved out and have my own daughter i really want to have religion in my family, how do i go about looking into religion and letting go of the past opnions about religion my family imposed on me. also my fiance is a babtised catholic, but doesnt know about his religion, and isnt into finding out nor any religion, how do i help him,me and my family find god?

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 6:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• the only advice I can give you is that people can "preach" to you until they are blue in the face about there religion and to them it's the way to go, but it might not be tight for you. just go to different churches and see what the offer, maybe talk to the priest or whom ever runs the church and explain to them that you are not sure which religion you want/like and would like to see what they offer, they may be able to give you some good advice also, good luck!
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 6:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i am a christian so this will be a christian point of view, accept Jesus Christ as your saviour, begin looking into churches who have what you are lookin for. I attend Calvary Chapel. www.calvarychapel.com see if there is one near you, non-judgemental bibleteaching church. Teach the word of God, none of the lets open to this book of the bible and hten talk about the luncheon fellowship. Also i will pray for you.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 6:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Hey girl I have recently gave my old life up and let God be my new leader in life. It's crazy sometimes I get told stuff to the worse Ive got told is how can there be a God when there isnt a Santa Clause. But it dosnt matter what everyone thinks you gotta go with how you feel. Where are you from are you anywhere close to New Braunfels?
    shanbuttercup

Answer by shanbuttercup at 6:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• www.religioustolerance.org play around on the site and see what suits you. Personally though I think religion is the ultimate weapon of mass destruction. Raise your kids with morals and I think you'll be fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I am christian, and was raised going to a ton of diffferent churches, catholic, baptist, and a ton inbetween. No matter if you find a church right now or take your time searching that is right for your family, there are things you can live your life by that pretty much they all agree with. Be respectful, dont judge, help other people, be a good person basically. You dont have to rush something that is personal and will mean so much to your family once you have decided. Just live in what you define to be a Godly way. It will also be easier to stay inthe church once you have foiund one that is right for you and not just what you think you should do. Good luck.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• There's a difference between finding religion and finding God. Spirituality (finding God) has nothing to do with the rules or rituals (religion) that you follow. Christianity, I feel, is based on your relationship with God and your salvation through Jesus Christ. The "rules" that pertain to our religion are ways that God asks us to live in order to live better lives and best represent the principles that the Bible teaches and that Jesus taught when he walked the earth.

You find God by asking. Believe that he is there and that he hears you. Believe that Jesus made a sacrafice to save you from your sins so that you may enjoy heaven one day. Grow in your knowledge and faith by attending various churches. Pick the one you are more comfortable with and seek a mentor that can help answer your questions.

Make sure you follow a religion because you believe in it, otherwise there is no point.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My only advice to you would be to do some serious thinking about what you personally believe and what things you as sure you don't. Then do a lot of research in to ALL sorts of religions and see which ones match up to your personal beliefs best. Then try them out. Go to that type of church, or temple, or circle, or whatever and see if you are comfortable there. Never feel like you have to compromise your beliefs. Anyone who tells you there way is the only way is lying to themselves. There are many different answers for many different people. Find something that makes you happy :)

It took me many years to find a religion I was happy with and when I did it was like being welcomed home.

Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Wow that is full of typos, sorry for that. I really need to proofread before I post!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You won't find religion but I believe what you are seeking is God. That is normal to seek Him. Christianity isn't about accepting Jesus and then you got your ticket to heaven. It is about a relationship with Him. He died on the cross so that could happen and He did it because He loved and still loves you. He is knocking on the door of your heart asking you if He can come in and dwell there and be your savior, friend and Lord. All you have to do is say Yes Jesus I want you into my life. I ask you for forgiveness of my sins and repent of my wrong ways. I ask you Jesus to teach me, to lead me and show me where to go and what to do. I want to follow you all the days of my life. Thank you Jesus for making me white as snow and for setting me free! Teach me to love like you do... in the name of Jesus I pray AMEN.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You don't NEED religion. But if you want to figure out a path that's right for you... First, Pray!! Second, research. Go to http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx and take the quiz. It's a pretty accurate source to help you figure out where you stand. Take a deep breath and take it slow. God loves you wherever you are!!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2009