What can be done, I mean can this really happen like this? CS question dont open if you are going to get offended

How is it that my DF's ex can get $2000.00 a month in child support when he has another child to take care of and $2000 a month is almost all he makes? I am very angry about this, and none of it seems right, I agree he should help support his kids BUT why should it be so much when this chick has no bills because she lives with her parents, and pays for nothing except for her car payment. Why should he still have to support her too? Does the courts not realize that people move on and he has us as a family too?!? I guess my question is how can he get it changed, so he doesn't have to pay her everything he makes? He wants custody of the kids but we have no idea how to even go about doing that? Can anyone give me some insight here

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• I feel your pain believe me got two step daughter and two of my own and my EX-wife in law get more than I do by a long shot! She probably did lie about the amount and the child support system is so over loaded they just took her word for it, have him contact them to schedule a meeting take his last pay stub or income tax return and get it ammended!! Really you shouldn't want to take the kids from the mom that will open a whole new can of worms, My ex husbands wife thought she would get my kids and I flipped out! Unless the child is in danger he probably couldn't get custody anyway just way law is. Depending on where you live you can do a shared custody deal where they stay 50/50 split between mom and dad so CS is a wash.
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 9:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Uhhh well first of all,all my experiences with child support and courts tell me that what you are saying is false. Here is why Hon. Child support is based on alot of factors, how many kids and what you ex makes is the number two things. Therefore, he is either 1) lying to you about how much he makes or 2) lying to you about what he will be paying. Sorry, but this simpy is the only ways it would be this much.
    Anonymous

• If there isnt a court order, he needs to file for joint legal custody, or joint physical/legal custody and also file for a modification of CS.
    They should take into account his other child, BUT unfortunately in most COURTS eyes, the first child is the one that is (for lack of better words) "more important"
    Anonymous

• The only thing I can say is to, go back to court.

Answer by louise2 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• What state do you live in???? In Oregon you can request a hearing to get it figured out. If it is figured on the wrong income then they will change it. Also if he has court ordered parenting time this is a calculation credit, also any non-joint children (his but not with his ex, step kids don't count). If you live in oregon I know how to file for custody by yourself. At least get the papers going.

Whether you are in oregon or not you should contact the child support division that handles your case and request a hearing, if the order has already been set request a modification.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 6:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I don't see how it can be so much. Child support is based off of an average of what he has made over the last 2 years, and who has the child more. This scenario really doesn't make any sense.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 3:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Uhhh well first of all,all my experiences with child support and courts tell me that what you are saying is false. Here is why Hon. Child support is based on alot of factors, how many kids and what you ex makes is the number two things. Therefore, he is either 1) lying to you about how much he makes or 2) lying to you about what he will be paying. Sorry, but this simpy is the only ways it would be this much.

I have seen the paperwork myself, because they sent it in the mail, as a judgement.
    Anonymous

• The thing is, YOU can't really do anything about it. It has to be HIM and the mother.
    Anonymous

• Fed law has guidelines but each state has different rules.. Some states look at net income while others look at gross. Many factors are looked at in determining the amount of CS. Ex: visitation, income of both parties, medical, age of child, etc. If he is paying for another child he must meet 2 req. it has to be court ordered and he has to be up to date in order to take that deduction. His current spouse and her children are not a deduction.
    In order for it to be changed a motion to modify must be filed. If he goes through child support enforcement, he should contact the case worker and ask for it or hire an atty.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I agree go back to court and have it ammended. My ex only pays 250 a month, and he makes about 2,000 also. It may be thats how much he was helping to begin with and they kept it that way, but yes, get it ammended, you may have to file for an atty. though, unless you can find out which papers to file on your own.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009