Q for Black Women.

I'm white but I have a black friend who uses the 'n' word...a lot. I like her very much but the word is offensive to me. She does not curse at all other than that one word which makes my skin crawl...especially in reference to her own little girls. Am I just too sensitive? Should I let her know it offends me or should I just leave it alone. I'm sort of afraid my kids will hear it and repeat it. Not only is it a "bad word" in my book, it could get the snot beat out of them. I hope I have made this question respectful and if I have managed to offend, please point it out and let me know so I don't do it again. I think if more people tried to ask questions and find out how to be respectful, we'd have less confilict, right?

PS- I wasn't sure which category this should be in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Honey let her know how you feel if she is a real friend she'll understand and respect your wishes. I think the word shouldn't be used by both blacks and whites, its degrading!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• She obviously doesn't understand the history of the word...or she has a self deprecating personality (low self esteem).
    Anonymous

• If it makes you uncomfortable and is offensive to you, you have every right to ask her not to use it around you and your kids. Skin color has nothing to do with it. It's just a respect issue.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I agree with diamondmamma: let her know. I hate the word and find it offensive.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You know, she may have been using it for so long she doesn't even realize how loosely she is using that icky word. My friend was like that with the f bomb a lot. Bring it to her attention politley and maybe it won't even be a big deal.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I was really afraid I would be attacked over this question. Thanks for being supportive. It reassures me that there are, indeed real Ladies out there :)
    Anonymous

• I have a black friend who used it all the time too. Once she even called me that. I must of looked shocked, she never did it again.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yes ,I would tell her ,Please if you don't mind ,I hate that word,and really don't want my kids to ever say it,I know you don't mean nothing by it,but it offends me.Then if she says it again knock the s**t out of her. I'm kiddin,no hate mail lol. I hate the GD word,and I will tell people in a heartbeat,to please not say that around my kids. Good Luck,like the others said if she is a real friend,she will respect you,and probably respect you for teaching her manners
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Val! ...lol
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Tell her you don't like it. If she's a real friend she'll respect that
    sexy_with_5

Answer by sexy_with_5 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2009