Concerned Mommy!

Ok, so my 4 month year old son was coughing really hard like it hurt him, and breathing hard, and crying. So, me and hubby took him to his pediatrician and they told us it was just a virus so let it run its course. So, about over the course of three days his cough got worse and we took him to another place and they said the same thing but they gave him advair for his breathing and steroids for is coughing. It still didn't go away it still got worse over the next three days. I mean I'm not a doctor I just go by what they say. So, we took him to the ER and they found out he had pneumonia and we had caught it early, they gave him an x-ray and then amoxacillian (the pink stuff). What should I do about the other doctors who said it was just a virus, could I do anything about that or what?

CarsBars08

Asked by CarsBars08 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• They were probably right.
    You say the ER caught the pneumonia early. That means the infection was only a day or two old, not 6 days. The other doctors found the primary viral infection. The pneumonia was most likely a secondary infection CAUSED BY the first viral infection. Very, very few people ever just catch pneumonia. And those people tend to have immune system problems. Most people who catch it come down with it during or after a cold or flu.
    Congrats for paying attention to your child, for paying attention to your instincts that this cold wasn't following the normal path, and for following up to make sure your child got the needed care. The viral infection caused pneumonia and you did a good job in getting him help for that so quickly.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Honestly if you caught it early in the pneumonio stages then he probably didnt have it when he went to the Dr just the virus, which can turn into pneumonia. There is nothing they can do for a virus they are immune to antibiotics, but I agree that they should have watched him better after the first Dr apt. I would ask them why they didnt, and if you feel they are putting you off then maybe switch Dr's. Good job though keeping an eye on it and not just keeping him home when he was sick, you knew something was wrong and thank god you took care of him like he needed.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would advise the regular peditritian what happened but other than that their isn't much else you can do. It sounds like a mistake, not malpractice.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• And yes, be sure to get a copy of his records from the ER sent to his main doctor. They should have a copy in case there are any future problems.

But this was certainly not malpractice and most likely wasn't even an oversite or mistake.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thanks guys!! I am glad I caught it early. I almost had a heart attack when I found out what it was.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2009