My son is 5 months old and everytime i take him to family functions he cries hysterically. He has done this at times when we go to a store. Is this normal behavior?

He does not allow anyone else to hold him or stare at him because he continues to get upset. He is also teething and has been waking up about 2 to 3 times every night. Is there anything I can do to make the teething process easier for him?

noahsmom17

Asked by noahsmom17 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hes going through stranger danger stage. as far as teething, teethers and hard stuff to chew on, orajel is great too
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• for teething get an elecrtric toothbrush...crest spinbrush is like 6 bucks. massage his gums with it. they come in easier and a cold wet washcloth. It sounds like he has separation anxiety. Try playing peekaboo games with him to make it easier.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• thats how all my daughters are he reconizes that they are strangers because he dont see them often it actually means hes smart thats what my pedi told me and for the teething a cold teething righ
    Anonymous

• Stranger anxiety stage. Anyone that's not around him on a daily basis is probably going to get him going. Teething also doesn't help his mood.

Orajel and Orajel PM works pretty good on babies, but be sure (if he's not wearing one already) that he has a bib on, because it makes them drool like crazy. I let my DD's chew on things like cold or frozen teething rings, frozen bagels and bananas....you have to get kinda creative.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Like the first person said stranger danger this is just the stage where if they cant see/ hear you it freaks them out. Now with your family if you keep taking him around them he will get better. My DS is 4 months so I make sure he sees my mom at least once a week so he doesnt cry when she holds him.

For the teething take a peach/pear slice wrap it in a wash cloth and freeze it this way the coldness sooths and he gets a serving of fruit, I mean only if he is eating foods yet. Talk to you Ped to make sure this is ok.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It could also be sensory overload. My daughter was like this for awhile so I'd make sure I wore her in my Moby Wrap when we were around a lot of people or out in public. Feeling me close seemed to help.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Its a phase. My son did that, cant remember how old he was; maybe less than a year or a little over a year. It seemed every time I went to wal-mart with him he would scream his head off as soon as I walked in the door. He did this for a while too, and every time he did I would have to rush to get what I needed. I could never do major grocery shopping because of him screaming, I would have the entire store staring at me like I just beat him. Eventually he got over it and now loves wal-mart; of course who doesn't!
    Dharrell

Answer by Dharrell at 8:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2009