Do I have a dry socket?

Ok so I got my tooth pulled yesterday, and it stopped bleeding this morning, but it still hurts pretty bad. Even after I take the hydrocodone they gave me I still have some discomfort.

A friend of mine freaked me out by saying I could possibly have a dry socket, which I know is when the blood clot falls out. When I touch the spot with my tongue I feel something squishy does that mean the blood clot is still there?

My dentist office is closed, I already tried calling.

ednakrabapple

Asked by ednakrabapple at 7:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you had a dry socket you would not be able to touch it with your tongue at all. Do not sip anything through a straw and if you smoke do not because this can make it worse. I was a dental asst. for 15 years if you have any questions between now and tom., send me a PM!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I had a dry socket when my wisdom teeth were removed. It can really hurt, but you'll be fine waiting until tomorrow to see the dentist again. (Back when I had my dry socket, they didn't have anything to fix it, so I hope the dentist can give you something.)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• When I had dry socket it hurt really bad, and nothing helped. But that was so long ago that I can't remember what it was like other than that. You should be fine waiting until tomorrow though to get in touch with the dentist. I know it hurts like crap though. I hope you feel better soon, dental work really sucks big time.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• That sounds like a dry socket and what your feeling down there is food and not the blood clot. What they do is pack it with some type of substance and it'll heal. I had it once and it was painful. Until they pack it its going to be uncomfortable, even after taking the hydrocodone
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I had one. It hurt worse than the original toothache. I'd call the dentist at home and ask him what to do. They do emergency calls for dry sockets.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If you just had them out, they are going to be pretty painful (despite the medication). I remember that my second and third days were pretty painful. I would give it a couple more days, and remember not to suck anything since that can cause a dry socket. Try eating cold things too... it sometimes helps numb it more.
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 7:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Lapcounter is right! Sucking on anything will cause a dry socket! Hope ya feel better soon!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 8:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have not sucked on anything and i do not smoke.

It actually has started to feel better since i posted this, so i don't think anything is wrong.

My friend just freaked me out I hate it when people do that.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 8:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2009