baby spitting up... acid reflux?

My 6 week old seems to have acid reflux.. I think. Once she eats (breastfed), she will cry out from being uncomfortable. Burping does help some, but not always. She does not always burp, but she does spit up .. which can go on for a while. The past few days, it seems feeding takes hours - between feeding her and burping and trying to calm her - and then she is wanting to eat again...much sooner than usual (every 1 1/2 hours or less even)
Any recommendations on this? Does it sound normal?
I feel like I cannot put her down..

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 7:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would check with the doctor. it could be something in your diet upsetting her tummy. So keep track of what you eat, it could be something very common. But I would definitely take her to the doc, just bc with a lot of spitting up, that can affect weight gain and such. so give them a call
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My son ate like that too at 6 weeks they are going through a growth spurt and need to eat more.. It doesn't sound like acid reflux to me.. my son has acid reflux and will swollow really hard every now and then like even an hour after i have fed him so i know that its acid. I do think every baby has acid reflux to some level. but it sounds normal to me.
    MoMmYtObEtO1

Answer by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Definitely could be acid reflux if she's in pain like that. Is she arching her back? This is a sign of it. Lots of spit-up, however, is normal and not a sure sign of reflux. Also, the acid reflux meds they give help with the acid part but not the spitting up. (Our first daughter was on... Zantac, I think? She felt better but still doused every onesie she wore within a few minutes). The spitting up comes from a certain sphincter muscle not being fully formed (developmentally normal) but for some reason it affects some babies more than others. You can talk to your doc about a prescription. The eating more often around 6 weeks is almost definitely a growth spurt thing, not a reflux thing or even a spit-up thing. 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 weeks and 6 months are *roughly* the ages for the major growth spurts, and they usually last a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Just keep feeding on demand. Good luck with the reflux.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I dont know i dont have MD behind my name now do i?
    Anonymous

• ?
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 9:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• thanks for the info on growth spurts & feedings .. makes a lot of sense. :)
    no regular arching of her back... much more crying though...
    passing gas more too..

KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 9:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• not sure what the above response is for.. from "anonymous"?
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 9:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Sounds like a possible oversupply. Check out http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html Oversupply symptoms:

- Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot

- Baby may have green, watery or foamy, explosive stools

-Mother's breasts feel very full most of the time

- Mother may have frequent plugged ducts, which can sometimes lead to mastitis (breast infection)

- Baby may arch and hold himself very stiffly, sometimes screaming - Feedings often seem like battles, with baby nursing fitfully on and off

The infant behaviors described above are caused by these issues but may frequently be misdiagnosed as colic, lactose intolerance, milk protein allergy, reflux, or hypertonicity (stiff muscle tone).

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• thanks.. some of those symptoms do fit.. I will read more about it.. thanks for the resource!! :)
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 9:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• PERFECTLY normal!!! Don't stress about. Everything you are doing is EXACTLY RIGHT!! Don't add anything to her diet such as cereal or formula.. There is no reason for this. Also do not push for medication.. Doctors will go on your symptoms and if they match what it says in their little book they'll say "yep!! Do this!!" But I assure you that this is all NORMAL!!!
    You can try cutting foods out of your diet- dairy, spicey foods, acidic foods, etc... But at the end of the day, the truth is that some babies just puke more than others. (My DD2 is one of those babies.. Some days it seems like NOTHING stays down- I notice this happens after a growth spurt..)

Your DD is probably going through a growth spurt, which is why she's eating more.. Just take it a day at a time. When you want your hands free, go visit friends, family members, and be sure that DH is getting lots of quality time!!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009